window blinds, my latest project.....

A few weeks ago I came across these sunshades/blinds for the 110 a great idea but at £378.00 totally out of my price range, I therefore decided that I could make my own. A quick search on eBay found these, I then got hold of some Neodymium magnets, and some Webbing a project was formed.

First thing was a paper template so that I could replicate it for the other side I decided that if I doubled the thickness they would also act as thermal blinds for my trip to Norway next year. I need to make 12 (3 rear, 2 side rear, 2 second row, two front door, Alpine windows and the windscreen). I have Mantec window guards in the rear so the magnets will stick to them and to the window frames in the front I have to figure out the windscreen and the alpine window yet.

So I set to it tonight and made the first one, the magnets are doubled and stitched into webbing so far I am impressed with the result although I have only made one!!

In total the project will cost me around £30 for all of the materials so a bit cheaper than £378, they also do a fly screen version which is a really great idea I have acquired some mosquito netting so stay tuned for the 2nd part of the project!!

Jason.

post-15513-0-28968900-1332531194_thumb.jpg

post-15513-0-28859100-1332531224_thumb.jpg

post-15513-0-22923600-1332531255_thumb.jpg

post-15513-0-64158700-1332531274_thumb.jpg

forgive my ignorance. but why do you need these for Norway? for when your stopped?

Im even more confused by the need for mosi netting, even in Africa :blink:

thermal blinds would be good for the cab though. I have a windscreen one kicking about somewhere.

G

forgive my ignorance. but why do you need these? for when your stopped?

Im even more confused by the need for mosi netting, even in Africa :blink:

G

Yes when the truck is parked and locked up the sun coming through the windows really heats up the truck, so adding some blinds to cut out the sun should help I am also planning to go to Norway next year so it will be sleeping in the truck and want to add some thermal blinds.

The fly screen will only be for the front 4 windows, mosquito net as it's actually fairly cheep. I often find when camping etc we often want to leave the windows open to stop the truck heating up but then find all sorts of animals have either flown into or crawled into the truck some annoying like fly's and some that like to take a nibble from you. preventing these from getting into the truck will be a big plus.

Jason.

• 5 weeks later...

OK, the internet was down today..... so I turned my attention back to these, all the material had been sitting around for a few weeks and after unrolling and trying to flatten out the mats so that I could cut and sew them!!

Anyway here are some photos of the blinds, I have now completed six, front four, rear door and one sliding window so just the other sliding window to do the two rear quarter lights, the alpine windows and the windscreen but as we got internet back I had had enough for tonight.

I am really pleased with them and must have spent around £40 and 8 hours but the look good, and the truck is really starting to come together.

Jason.

img00253201204211413.jpg

By jasong4110 at 2012-04-21

img00255201204211518.jpg

img00254201204211517.jpg

img00258201204211738.jpg

img00259201204211946.jpg

img00260201204211947.jpg

Now if you'd asked me. You could have had the ones I threw out. We found them a pain lying about in the car.

Now you say Mike!!! but where would have been the fun in sitting for hours at the sewing machine!!

Jason.

Jason. On a serious note. I have security guards on my very back windows, so I can't fit them there. We made a set up for the passenger bit. We either forgot to fit them or they ended up under junk. Not the either of us noticed how hot it was. We drove most of the time with the front windows and flaps open. The roof rack helps keep the top interior cool.

Mind you, like you say, where is the fun, also you made those yourself. When I was modeol making my Thames Barges. It was nice when somebody said " Where did you get that ? " Then I could smirk and reply " I made it" Self satisfaction

I had a commercially made set for the VW Camper (when I had it), excellent idea, i was intending to buy a set of 'Silcer screens' off ebay for an older transit or something and modify them for the current truck - where'd you get the material, edging etc? You've too much free time / overactive mind (bit like myself - only you get projects finished, maybe when I finish welding I could to lol...)

Steve

Jason. On a serious note. I have security guards on my very back windows, so I can't fit them there. We made a set up for the passenger bit. We either forgot to fit them or they ended up under junk. Not the either of us noticed how hot it was. We drove most of the time with the front windows and flaps open. The roof rack helps keep the top interior cool.

Mike I also have guards on the back windows, because I fitted magnets the rear door sticks to the metal, the two quarter lights will be fitted with Velcro, it is likely that I will just leave the rears on as with the trailer I don't use the rear view mirror. My truck is black so gets hot when parked and as you say although the roof rack helps it still gets hot, We have A/C but it's not perfect so anything to keep the inside cooler when parked is good news, in reverse I will also use them as blinds when I sleep in the truck.

Mind you, like you say, where is the fun, also you made those yourself. When I was modeol making my Thames Barges. It was nice when somebody said " Where did you get that ? " Then I could smirk and reply " I made it" Self satisfaction

I am a Powerpoint engineer these days so don't use my hands at work, as you say there is something about making something yourself that's very primal and is very satisfying.

Looks like a project for the other half, I like those :i-m_so_happy:

Nice of you to share the work around Les!! I grew up with my dad managing a textile company so driving a sewing machine was something I learnt at an early age, despite the frequent extraction of urine as a kid about sewing it is a skill that has come in very useful over the years.

I had a commercially made set for the VW Camper (when I had it), excellent idea, i was intending to buy a set of 'Silcer screens' off ebay for an older transit or something and modify them for the current truck - where'd you get the material, edging etc? You've too much free time / overactive mind (bit like myself - only you get projects finished, maybe when I finish welding I could to lol...)

Steve

I have a very active mind, and spend a lot of time on planes and in hotels my biggest frustration is the lack of time to finish these projects, I have hundreds in my mind 5% of which ever see the light of day and 1% get from 'concept stage' and get completed.

The magnets and edging came from eBay edging/webbing magnets I tried several types of magnet but found that these were the best.

Jason.

I have now finished.. So that's another project ticked off the list.

The last few were a lot more difficult than the straight flat windows and as Mike says above the same approach can't be taken with the rear quarter lights being worst a rethink and some Velcro sorted them though.

Like Mike I have rear window guards and there is not enough metal for magnets to stick to, so I put a flat on it and sewed Velcro to it,

img00261201204221709.jpg

By jasong4110 at 2012-04-22

img00262201204221709.jpg

I then stuck the Velcro to the sides of the plastic

img00265201204221712.jpg

Not a perfect fit but they will mould into shape

img00264201204221711.jpg

Windscreen done......

img00267201204222002.jpg

Jason.

blooming eck. i wish i had the time and money to do all these sorts of projects, ive still got a half made custom roof lining in the workshop. and door cards i cant be bothered to fit them again as theyre too much hassle haha

not to mention the central locking that i only ever got round to fitting to one door.. haha

blooming eck. i wish i had the time and money to do all these sorts of projects, ive still got a half made custom roof lining in the workshop. and door cards i cant be bothered to fit them again as theyre too much hassle haha

not to mention the central locking that i only ever got round to fitting to one door.. haha

Mikey,

I have a pile of things that I have not finished!!! And stuff that I have ordered that has never been fitted!! I have been thinking about the rear storage unit for 2 years yet, I didn't have the money to buy what I wanted so the only choice I had was to make them.

I am planning to go to Norway so the blinds moved up the list, they were on the need to sort out the issue of the truck getting to hot when we are parked, when I saw the Matt Savage ones although at £300 plus it was not going to happen but gave me the idea and £40 out of the Land Rover fund the issue was sorted.

With my truck & trailer it's a balance, I have a LR fund where I stick money in every month I use this to pay for bits and if I sell anything on it also goes back into this account. So I have to do the best I can with the money available, it's a good place to stick any money I get for Birthdays etc. I shop around a fair bit and spend an age planning things so normally project take around 2 years to even get off the drawing board.

I want to also make a set of insect mesh blinds that will allow the windows to be left open, I have just secured a net for 99p from ebay I am going to buy some magnetic strip and make the blinds the total cost should be around £5, we got really annoyed last year when every time we stopped the truck would fill with fly's and we would need spend ages getting them all out so fixing that went on the list and became the start of the blind idea although I have done the sun shade ones before the fly ones as I have't got the material yet.

Jason.

well youre organised haha, i have no such fund, and am now struggling to pay for my flat at uni because i went and spent nearly £600 of my student loan on brand new goodyear MTR and modulars last term. i have also just bought a door card off ebay for a defender. i reckon i can get the remote latch and internal locky thing work (was supposed to get the pair but was snipe out bidded haha so ended up with 1 for now

• 4 months later...

OK so I think this is my last winter project update, we used these in the heat whilst away. Even if I say so they were fantastic, worth every penny and probably some more.

The weather was hot and would regularly hit 40 degrees C plus they made a massive difference far more than even I could have hoped for, they keep the truck cool even when parked in the full force of the sun and made getting back in the truck a pleasure, the kids even would go and sit in the truck because it was dark and cooler than outside!!

A great little project that I was really happy with the results.

Jason.