Stage One Uprated Halfshafts. I'm getting some made.

RobotMan

Unfortunately I have broken the short custom made shaft in my uprated Stage One V8 front axle. that may have been down to me driving up waterfalls with the lockers in.

post-3874-0-28284900-1374846506_thumb.jpg

post-3874-0-19335300-1374846835_thumb.jpg

Anyway, I have been down to see a local engineering firm today and givven them a box full of shafts and CVs to play with.

They seemed more than confident of being able to make some shafts up. I won't get a quote until next week.

Would anyone else be interested in getting some made at the same time? I imagine it would be better to make several whilst the tooling is set-up.

These wil be direct replacement front shafts for a Stage One axle but in uprated material and also 24 spline at the diff end allowing greater choice of aftermarket diff centres. I have an Ashcroft Locker in mine.

I have no connection wit the fim making these nor will I be making anything from any extra shafts made. For all I know they may come up with a silly price making this pointless anyway.

Rakeway wanted £240+VAT for a replacment short shaft. As a comparison a PAIR of coiler axle front shafts from Ashcroft are £245+VAT with a warranty.

Details of my axle build etc can be found in this thread:-

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=49522&hl=%20r380%20%20series%20%20robotman&page=2

My Landy in action before I broke the shaft.

Yeh, but then you're back with the once-off set up costs.

I may follow up later on!

True.

Just put a 24 spline diff in. Mine is happy with 4.7:1 24 spline airlockers.

I thik the biggest problem is the shaft length being only 400mm.

I had a ten spline TrueTrac in mine when I was running a Series box. I swapped to a 24 spline one when I fitted the LT77 and the stage one axle. Trouble was the torque steer was unmanageable without power steering now that it was permanent 4x4. That's why I put the Ashcroft in. It's very good.

Oh dear, Did you have a look at heystee stuff. He is making 24/23 spline shafts in cr/mo for stage 1 axles. Might be easier getting them from him then having ones made up.

They are on my wish list......together with a locker!

G

Oh dear, Did you have a look at heystee stuff. He is making 24/23 spline shafts in cr/mo for stage 1 axles. Might be easier getting them from him then having ones made up.

G

http://www.heystee-automotive.com/onlineshop/catalog/index.php?cPath=41_50

Wow! Now that is expensive.

G

Not sure, but 23/24 spline fronts were a standard line for Maxidrive Engineering.I think the company that took over their axle production is called Hytuff engineering. At any rate an enquiry posted on Aulro forums should point you in the right direction.

Not sure, but 23/24 spline fronts were a standard line for Maxidrive Engineering.I think the company that took over their axle production is called Hytuff engineering. At any rate an enquiry posted on Aulro forums should point you in the right direction.

I'm having some custom front sideshafts made up soon. I Have early defender cv's running in defender swivel hubs. I'll be using 24/23 spline shafts made from K600 steel and then case hardened. My sideshafts will be about 90mm longer than standard each side since my axle is a series Salisbury with defender flanges (7 bolt).

Here in SA we cannot get 4340 and that's why I'll be using K600.

I'm hoping the extra bit of length allows more flex.

What do you guys know of K600 and it's relative strength?

Can't see any mention of Stage One axles on his site.

Going by his stock prices and then shipping back to the UK it probably wouldn't be any cheaper than getting from a UK source.

I'll keep it in mind though.

t

Even if the cost worked out the same I would prefer shafts made from Hi Tuff. Apparently, correctly heat treating it is a special, time consuming procedure that most firms won't bother with in small quantities. Maxidrive and Hi Tuff engineering reputedly get their shafts heat treated several hundred kgs at a time, and their heat treating firm is very reliable.

Very interested about to put cvs into a front axle possibility of needing 3 sets

Until I broke the shaft I was very happy with the setup. Well I still am but I never thought I would snap the shaft before the CV and that with 32" tyres too.

Still onward and upward.

As soon as I get prices I'll let you know.

Thank you my trialer has been waiting for this conversion I have the 4 pin diff ready to build, the Salisbury rear is getting a Jai locker cheap as chips homemade locker getting machined over the next couple of days. Been phoning around for a price for custom rear shafts all day. The scottish guys seemed best but they never answered the phone 6 calls!!! Will keep trying I need 4 inches of 24 splined shaft at each end and circa 2 inches overall longer than a stock series sals shaft.

Ashcroft or Kam not interested as they need bulk orders maybe there is a machine shop that does bits for the local f1 teams tey may get a call but price and spares availability will be key to me.

Usually it's a 6 week wait from anywhere for shafts I'm in no rush trialer still being built trying to get a bullet proof setup for the v8 is key to not being another DNF. The guy doing the Salisbury centre said 2 days which is handy as that can be put in the axle and it will work as an open diff until I sort shafts and a reliable locking mech.

My plan is to have a bullet proof ALRC trialer light as poss under 1 ton but with the option of having the back and eventually the front locked up for only minimal work before a non ALRC comp. ability to fit a front winch eventually Paying 1k for a switch and air system to lock axles etc is nice but not happening for me, house and life takes that money away so 5 minutes to lock each axle will do me. Only running 33 inch tyres so should be a laugh and if we don't try these silly ideas of ours then we will never know if it would have worked or not.

Jai, let me know where you did the longer spline shaft for the sals, as i also have the cheap locker option already in my diff, all i need is the longer shaft + splines and a different drive flange.

G

If you want to send me the specs for the shafts you are after I can ask this form to quote. They will be setting up to cut the 24 spline ends and buying the stock material. I would imagine they could do a batch of similar shafts through at a better price than singles. All in the heat treat together etc.