Temp gauge errattic

Theres a bit of a story behind this one,so bear with me. 
Last May whilst in the Pyrenees my 300tdi started running a bit hot,not off the scale,just touching the red area on the gauge. 
So me thinks,thermostat is Fubared,so I took it out.All good,once warmed up gauge reads normal. 
I have run it al the rest of this year with the thermostat minus the middle which I punched out.I read somewhere it's not good to run totaly without a stat. 
Now the werather is much colder,I thiught I'd replace the Thermostat.So,motor warms up nice & quickly now,but not long after reaching normal operating temp it rises to just under the red.If I turn the lights or fan on the temp gauge goes right up into the red immediately. 
So, I'm thinking something electrical,I have changed the temp sensor & stat.Do you think bad earth,& if so where would you suggest I start looking? 
Thanks a lot guys. 
Marc.

I don't know exactly how the gauge responds to the volts across it from the sender; I can guess but I don't know. So if it were me I would eliminate everything and connect the gauge direct to the sender ( if it isn't already) and apply a connection directly to earth from the appropriate terminal on the gauge. 

Then I'd hopefully know what's really happening  

Also I'd try to borrow a little IR temperature gauge and point it at a very hot area that's water cooled  to check that the real temperature isn't more than about 90 degrees  

You can't just connect it direct as there should be a voltage regulator inline somewhere on the back of the instrument panel, it should be supplying a steady voltage to the fuel and temp gauges, does the fuel gauge fluctuate also?

This sort of thing is handy to give some indication of spot temps.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Racetech-Motorsport-Temperature-Test-Strip-Sticker-116-154c-Pack-of-10-/291301023312?hash=item43d2e4de50:g:dPMAAOSwBahVDZ~g 

Just a quick update on this problem. 
Turned out to be the earth strap from the battery to the chassis/transfer box. 
Cleaned it up & re fitted,up to yet gauge has not gone above normal/vertical. 
Thanks for the ideas & all your imput fellas.Much aprechiated.
[IMG]
Marc