Serp v8 Alternator Differences...

=jon=

Hi All

I'm trying to source the 'right' alternator for my 4.6 - I bought a second hand unit from here, but it looks like the mountings are wrong, with the lugs being too narrow for the cast carrier...

The alternator is listed as a Denso A127i - 100 which google suggests is indeed for a Serp v8. Do I have the bracket for a later 150A Bosch alternator, which I understand have different fittings?

Am I going to be better off changing the bracket than sourcing a Bosch alternator - are these ECU controller rather than an onboard reg?

Cheers

Jon

IMG_0653.JPG

Edited by =jon=

IIRC the Bosch alternator is still internally regulated, not by the ECU.

That mount doesn't look like either the GEMS or Bosch mount, maybe it's the intermediate serp mount?

Pictures stolen from the interwebs where you can see the mounts for both Bosch and GEMS:

GEMS:

fuel_rail.thumb.jpg.7941d280346994d9f5d08f29c8fdc5c0.jpg

Bosch:

Bosch.jpg.6bb9e3ba2cb5454be0e75395fdd4b64a.jpg

Hmm - thanks for that. The source engine was a GEMS, but it doesn't look the same. Next time I'm where the engine is I'll grab a pic of the bracket in situ as that will probably help!

The 100A alternators for the V8 and Tdi are similar, but not identical. There is a difference in the width between the front and back mounting lugs (see earlier pics). By the sounds of it, you may have the (narrower) Tdi version - which could be why the "other" hole doesn't line up - assuming as others point out - its the correct bracket.

Edited by simonb

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't get a decent pic of the front of the engine, but the mounting holes are approx 158mm centre to centre across the front of the alternator bracket. Part number stamped on it is ERR6892 which appears to be a P38 / Disco 2 alternator bracket.

As the bracket is 'flat' - am I missing an intermediate vertical bracket that goes between ERR6892 and the alternator fittings?

https://auto-parts-lab.myshopify.com/products/land-rover-discovery-2-ii-alternator-tensioner-bracket-err6892-oem-2003-2007

Here's a pic of the front of the engine :)

2017-06-11 15.40.22.jpg

At the moment we've not figured out the belt routing - it looks like there's a couple of ways you can mount the idlers / tensioners that changes things. We don't have an AC compressor so will probably have to figure out the non AC serp routing. I bought a non AC belt, but it doesn't seem to work whichever way we try length wise...

Edited by =jon=

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any ideas on how a GEMS serp non-AC belt routing looks like?

This is what we have come up with so far, but the GEMS non-AC belt appears to be the wrong length. I know we have an AC mount but no compressor, does that change the layout from a 'true' non AC setup?

596e6802c88d8_beltrouting.thumb.jpg.094b72d1b566c48fdd0144b09fe24d29.jpg

Yup, that's only there to ensure some wrap on the aircon pulley. The stock non-ac belt should fit fine.

If it doesn't, get a piece of string, wrap it around everything, and mark the length you need. Then go to a parts store and ask for a xPKyyyy belt, where x is the number of grooves and yyyy is the length in mm.