Thor D2 - Questions on components

garrycol

I have two questions related to components on top of a Thor engine.  See Pic.

What is the pipe marked with red arrows that runs from the front of the plenum to the rear of the engine.  Brake Booster vacuum pipe?  If it is not the Brake Booster vacuum pipe where does it connect to the manifold/plenum?

The yellow arrows point to the twin quadrant that operates the butterfly in the throttle body - there are two cables that go to each of the quadrants - I assume one is throttle cable and the other is the cruise control cable - if not please correct me.  Which quadrant takes the actual throttle cable - the one right in the front of the engine or the one closets to the throttle body.

Thanks

Garry

$_57a.jpg

Edited by garrycol

The marked pipe is the fuel EVAP pipe, you probably won't be using this.

There's no brake booster vacuum pipe as the cars the Thor/Bosch engine was fitted to had an electric ABS pump.

There should be another bung in the top left of the picture (near the oil filler) on the manifold that you can use for a brake vacuum pipe. May not be drilled and tapped though.

As for cruise and throttle, I can't recall for sure which is which, but I don't think it matters? Probably nearest the throttle body for the throttle cable.

Edited by elbekko
  • Like 1

Thanks - thats great - I take it then that the Fuel Evap sucks fuel vapour from the fuel tank and sucks it into the inlet manifold to be burnt in the engine - yep don't need that at all.  Hmmm - no sucker for the brakes so as you say I will need to take it from where you said - mine is drilled and has a plastic fitting in it - U will use a large bore brass fitting -  I assume vacuum pressure is OK that far up in the system noting my old 3.5 with carbs had the vacuum for the brakes being taken from number 8 cylinder lower manifold just before it joins the head.

My question related to the throttle body comes from one of the quadrants operates independent of the other but the other one moves the independent one near the end of its travel.

I appreciate your input - thanks

Garry

12 hours ago, elbekko said:

There's no brake booster vacuum pipe as the cars the Thor/Bosch engine was fitted to had an electric ABS pump.

Eep, nope, the bung you also referred to is the source for brake vacuum boost and is a kind of push fit fitting, easily broke. The ABS pump is exactly that and used for the ABS brake control and not for manual braking.

My truck is 4 drums so ABS does not come into play for me.

In the below pic I take it that both of you are referring to the red fitting for brake vacuum.  The black fitting is the sucker for the rocker cover breather (I am surprised there is no flame trap in the plumbing like there is in the carb manifolds) . I assume the small capped fitting underneath the larger ones is just another small generic vacuum port for what ever you want it for.

P6290014.JPG

7 hours ago, steve_a said:

Eep, nope, the bung you also referred to is the source for brake vacuum boost and is a kind of push fit fitting, easily broke. The ABS pump is exactly that and used for the ABS brake control and not for manual braking.

Brainfart on my part I guess, I thought the D2 used the same ABS system as the P38. Guess not.