Transfer box

Hi all , I've got a transfer box I'm rebuilding suffix E (22D379470E) when removing the input gear I noticed it wasn't cross drilled and has 26 teeth and there was an oil plate fitted , so then I went to the Ashcrofts website to order some bits and on there it says that a cross drilled input gear (and no oil plate) with 26 teeth is fitted to boxes from c suffix on . So is the cross drilled input gear a upgrade to the undrilled ones on older boxes or has someone at some point rebuilt the box and put the wrong input gear in there ? any help much appreciated >

cheers Ian

cross drilled gear or the oil splash plate were fitted to improve the lubrication of the shaft splines, I think the cross drilled gear is the better option. 

quite possible the previous owner chose the oil plate as a cheaper fix. 

It could have just been what as to hand when the transfer box was fitted if it has been changed at some point. I helped a friend fit a second hand disco box to his 110 and it didn't come with the input gear so we just used the one from the old transfer box as it wasn't causing any problems. The only reason to change was the higher gearing.