Discovery 3 or 4

Paula pook

I have no idea if I'm in the right place. But hope someone can point me in the right direction. I have drive and tow with z discovery 3. It's becoming more expensive as more goes wrong now and don't know whether to traded in for a 4.

I can't really afford it not can I afford to keep paying out for mine. But it so good at its job when it's good it's brilliant. I tow 2 large horses in a trailer and am often off road 

I've heard the d4 still has tailgate and suspension problems which I had hoped would have been ironed out on the d4

What are people's opinions please I love driving my d3 it's done everything I need do I keep it and get it repaired if needed or try to upgrade thinking of long term costings.

Many thanks

Paula

Welcome.

Living a long way away I can't really comment on the UK situation but we have gone for a horse truck for our horse transport needs.

I think the D4 is better but still too complicated and equally expensive when stuff breaks. "When it's good it's brilliant" sounds like how I used to describe them, "it's great when everything is working - and that's the problem". I nearly bought a D4 but decided a Shogun for 2/3 the price made more sense.

Personally I would not consider keeping either for 13 years like I did with my old D2.

Hi,

If I could find and afford a V8 D4 I would have one, I love my D3 but the D4 is more modern. But, from what I hear on Disco3.co.uk the D4 still has engine problems in the diesel though the 8 speed auto is better than the D3 6 speed?

Thing is if you have fixed the stuff that ails the D3 only then all you have left is the stuff that also fails on the D4 so unless it has much less mikes on it you may not gain anything?