109 front brakes

TheBigJim

I think mine are fitted wrong.

What does left and right mean on the brake cylinders? 243744 and 243743. One left and one right on each backplate, or left on nearside, right on offside?

And should they be at 9 oclock and 3, or 'uneven'?

thanks

Yes, that sound correct, iirc, the green Bible has the "looking at from the front" convention.

And they are twin leading shoes, so both cylinders on each  back plate are the same. 

I'm going to do the brake lines on mine next weekend, all in front of me! 

G.

"the green Bible has the "looking at from the front" convention."

Introduction to the workshop manual says left or right hand side are made when viewing from the rear

I am confused!

They need to be fitted so each shoe has a leading edge, so I will work that one out when I strip it down.

But I think rtbarton is correct with the cylinders 12 oclock and 6 oclock.

Thanks

BJ

Edited by TheBigJim

13 hours ago, TheBigJim said:

Thanks, one and all.

I guess we have it sorted now!

but rbaton's on the left side looking fowrard have an L on them, so perhaps ."the green Bible has the "looking at from the front" convention" is correct!.

BJ

Not in the photos above - look at the differential to see which way the car is pointing.

In the first photo the car is facing to the right and the cylinder has an "L" on it.

1) If you use the convention of "right hand side of the car is on your right looking forward from the driver's seat" then the markings are wrong.

2) If you use the convention of "right hand side of the car is on your right looking at the front of the car" then the markings are correct.

You just need to make sure which convention the supplier of slave cylinders is using.

From the manual:

Ref.JPG.76b744711fad6cebc7302af6ad52237c.JPG

From the parts book:

Parts.JPG.c89fae907efd76aae9aa872e173f7c2f.JPG