Series swb 5 Speed Conversion - Help

Cliffordtdi

18 hours ago, lo-fi said:

Also think about gear ratios. Commonly available 1.22 transfer boxes are lower than the series 1.15, negating the benefit somewhat. 1.4 doesn't work well at all on 4.7 diffs if you want to go over 50. 

There's also a 1:1,003 ratio. Used in RRC's with automatic transmission. Together with 1:4,7 diff's it works real fine in my 88. 4th gear feels like top gear with a 4 speed box. 5th gear feels like an overdrive. Quite happy with this combination.

I was lucky to find a low mileage LT230 with a 1,4 ratio. The owner wanted 1,22 to improve motorway comfort and was willing to part with the 1,4 for very reasonable money. Bought a fresh set of 1,003 gears at Ashcroft and installed those together with the part time kit and larger sump.

DSC_0127.JPG

Just now, AV8R said:

There's also a 1:1,003 ratio. Used in RRC's with automatic transmission. Together with 1:4,7 diff's it works real fine in my 88. 4th gear feels like top gear with a 4 speed box. 5th gear feels like an overdrive. Quite happy with this combination.

I was lucky to find a low mileage LT230 with a 1,4 ratio. The owner wanted 1,22 to improve motorway comfort and was willing to part with the 1,4 for very reasonable money. Bought a fresh set of 1,003 gears at Ashcroft and installed those together with the part time kit and larger sump.

DSC_0127.JPG

That's exactly what I've done with mine in the 109 :) It started out as a 1.4. I probably should have included in my notes, but figured it was maybe out of  scope for a "will this bolt up?" discussion. I agree, the ratios do come out well suited to a series. Like the sticker too! 

• Like 1

Once the LT77 is in place, the LT230 easily bolts up ;)

Changing the ratio gears was also a straight swap. And as you will know, this set up gives a real nice low, Low Range. Top speed in 1st gear Low is about 8 MPH on 255/85R16's. The sticker was made to inform the person checking out the transmissions on  my IIa.