TD5 Cooling

Simon_CSK

My Disco 2 has had problems for a while now. Today I fitted a new radiator and theromstat and after bleeding it took it for a run bled it again and took it for another run. On the second run it died, fuel pump but that is another story. I phoned the AA because of the fuel and when he arrived I tild him the problem which was fixed by battering on the fuel tank. Anyway while we were talking I noticed that the top hose had vacuumed in but as soon as I unscrewed the header tank it reverted to its former shape.

What is the likely cause for the vacuum?

I'm just thinking aloud here... is the cooling circuit supposed to have a breather? If so, then it is blocked and it isn't admitting air as things cool but if it is then presumably the hose can't handle the change in pressure (reduction) as things cool down (Pressure X Volume / Temperature) has to be equal.

Sorry I don't know the answer to my own question but on a 300TDi is presume it is sealed as there's no conventional radiator cap (that would allow air).