axle oil contamination problem...

Bandog

I was thinking if anyone could advise, probably nick?

I am (was) getting a heap of gl5 inside my osr drum brake assy, coming out of the axle.

I am running a steep angle at the pinion, and therefore used a higher oil level in the diff.

Incidentally the near side hub was bone dry. I have racked my small cranium and can't work out where this can be coming in, apart from the hub bearing seal. Am I right? or is there something missing somewhere?

AS you might guess, its already written off a pair of shoes and one brake stopped locking up under hard braking.

Any input gratefully received. cheers

13 hours ago, Bandog said:

I was thinking if anyone could advise, probably nick?

I am (was) getting a heap of gl5 inside my osr drum brake assy, coming out of the axle.

I am running a steep angle at the pinion, and therefore used a higher oil level in the diff.

Incidentally the near side hub was bone dry. I have racked my small cranium and can't work out where this can be coming in, apart from the hub bearing seal. Am I right? or is there something missing somewhere?

AS you might guess, its already written off a pair of shoes and one brake stopped locking up under hard braking.

Any input gratefully received. cheers

Assuming the breather is ok and not blocked the only other thing I could suggest is you mite need to fit Def / Disco stub axles as they have a seal in the diff end of the stub axles to stop oil from passing down the half shaft but you will need to run the wheel bearings on grease instead of oil, hope this helps.

Yes its got wading breather on, push fit plastic and stainless, o ring seal  job with swivel with a 6mm open bore going right up to the bulkhead with the other breather pipes. So if it is running on axle oil it can only be the rear bearing oil seal then/? thanks I think I have it sussed now.

Edited by Bandog
no

It'll be getting past the hub seal as you and the others already identified.  If you have replaced that seal with no benefit, it could be the seal land; the collar on the stub axle on which the seal runs.  They often corrode a little, giving a porous surface and eating seals, but even if clean, often wear a groove.  If you have the pre 1980 axle type, then you can replace just the collar, as it separates from the stub axle.  If you have the later type with identical inner and outer bearings, then the land is integral to the stub, needing a new stub axle (over 80GPB last time I bough a genuine one), but you may be able to have it sleeved more cheaply.

You might consider fitting the oil catcher rings from the later axles if you don't have them.  You'd need to drill a drain hole through the backplate inside the diameter of the ring and grind a drain slot in the corresponding area of the stub axle flange at the 60'clock position for any caught oil to drain out and away from the brakes.