headrest removal

pfwilko

Hi to all

Is there anyone who can tell me how to get the rear headrests off a D4. they are bog standard. The hand book says hold the button in that allows it to be adjusted and continue pulling up.This is the way I have always removed them on other cars. I have tried this and they are solid. There is no way they will come up any further let alone come out.

19 hours ago, pfwilko said:

Hi to all

Is there anyone who can tell me how to get the rear headrests off a D4. they are bog standard. The hand book says hold the button in that allows it to be adjusted and continue pulling up.This is the way I have always removed them on other cars. I have tried this and they are solid. There is no way they will come up any further let alone come out.

Oh no it doesn't, this it the exact wording quoted from my copy "Raise the head restraint to its uppermost position and press the locking collar."

If that doesn't work in releasing then you have a problem.

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Finally was able to remove my very stubborn 2nd row headrests...

1.   Knees on seat bottom facing headrest

2.  On left stem, pull out locking clip and raise headrest to full height

3.  On right stem, press in on concealed locking clip (w/screwdriver/coin, etc) and pull right side up to unlocked position.

4.  While use right hand to maintain upward pressure on right side...push in on left side locking clip to fully release headrest.

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 1/25/2022 at 4:47 AM, Bonbon said:

Okay so I am struggling removing the headrest in my 2021 Discovery. I need to remove the middle seat headrest to fit a car seat. How can I find the concealed locking clip? 

So I just removed the centre headrest from my 2018 Disco. It is likely the same for the new facelift model. 
From the back seat, fold the headrest up.
1 pull the retaining clip in the right stem out completely. Remove it.

2 push a flat head screwdriver under the left stem cowl trim from the outside left - it pushes a hidden clip inward, I used a plastic trim tool so I didn’t rip the leather.

3 pull the headrest up and out

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem, but with a 2024 Defender 110. It looks like they changed the locking system entirely, since there is no left (when looking at the head rest from the front of the car) button at all. Nothing!

However, the following YouTube movie:

shows what may be my situation, but only mentions briefly that to dislodge the pin, you need to give it a sharp strong pull to dislodge the pin or a whack with a mullet on the head rest. Has anyone done this?