300tdi front stub axles

Hi all , need to replace the front stub axles on my 300tdi 90 project , have found some oem ones from EAC parts but you have to fit the needle bearing yourself and are there any other parts inside the stub as I can't find the bits listed for the inside of the stub axle in my LR parts book. Are they easy to fit ? as I think I remember from another thread that they need pressing in and are a pain to fit , can anybody recommend any other makes with the bearing fitted ?

cheers Ian

Think you will find the all come WITHOUT the bearings and to make matters worse, there are x2 sizes!

You need the axle number to determine which you need, or buy both types as i did (not that costly maybe £10 for a pair), the fit which ever are in the old stubs. Yes this means you have to knock x1 of them out. 1 type has a steel case the other not, so easy to tell the difference.

No harder than fitting wheel bearings if you have done them?

As for knocking old bearing out long old flat end screw diver and basicaly find the lip and thwack it with a hammer and work your way round, NOT in the same place all the time ;)

Hth Andy

Cheers Andy can knock the bearing out the one tomorrow it looks like its steel cased , unfortunately the one in the other stub has disintergrated . The part number I've got for the bearing is FTC861 that's what the parts place have given me , they haven't mentioned 2 types and they aren't listed in LR parts manual . do you have the part number for the other type ?

this might help -- https://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/53661-changing-the-needle-bearing-ftc861/

page 419 in 110 parts book only list the ftc861 item 21 in http://www.retroanaconda.com/landrover/parts_books/110/5_axles_suspension_steering_p398-471.pdf same part in 90 front stub axle too, so whoever told you there are 2 variants wasn't correct. 

If irc the other part number was just numbers???

Will have a look, but i did a full axle front and rear rebuild and did a lot of work checking parts... so i am pretty sure there are x2 bearings for front stub axle. depending on axle number determins which part number you require.

Will try and find the info and post it

Cheers both , found it in my parts book was looking at the wrong page :rolleyes: . Seems there's 1 bearing but 2 different types of seal that fit in before the bearing . Cheers western have had a quick read but will read it properly later .

cheers Ian

• Like 1