200tdi block coolant capacity after drain down

reb78

Does anyone happen to know what volume of coolant is likely to be left in a 200tdi after draining down by removing the bottom hose?

After doing the headgasket, the system only has water in it as we've flushed it several times, so I need to know roughly how much water stays in the block and heater if I drain the system using the bottom hose in order to get the antifreeze concentration correct. 

I just calculate the quantity of antifreeze required to make the correct % mix, based on the known total system capacity (11.1 litres I think), then chuck that amount in and top up with water until full. As long as you’ve flushed it so there’s only pure water remaining then it should then all be correct.

To be honest the last couple of times I’ve just dumped the whole 5 litre bottle in, that’s close enough to a 50% mix for me!

Ahhh. I would, but I forgot to mention I have a larger custom rad and I don't know it's volume because I was stupid and didn't measure it before I fitted it. So, I don't know the total volume of my system to do as you suggest!

Thanks Ralph,

Will I need a new sealing washer for that plug or ok to re-use the one that's currently there? Just checking before i remove it as i may not have time to get another before the weekend. If its copper, i could just anneal it though?

Any idea the remaining capacity of the heater matrix then?? Worth worrying about or not?

That should sort any left overs in the heater matrix. stand well clear as you'll get a coolant shower, it taste awful too. or just leave what's in there & refilling once the main job is finished any old coolant will soon get mixed in with the new fresh stuff.

it'll soon mix with the new anti freeze you fill it with, I didn't drain my heater matrix totally after the engine rebuild, I used plain water to get it running & through MOT, then drained the engine/rad when I replaced all the hoses a week later & filled it with new anti freeze mix.