Pictures Engine Defender

I have recently bought a Land Rover series III. The previous owner of the car has installed Defender 2.5 litre Turbo Diesel engine. When this engine was fitted it seems that the arrangement in the engine room was somewhat simplified. I know that that I am missing obvious parts like the screen wash reservoir. However, on the top of the engine there is a hose fuming out exhaust and if I am not mistaken his hose should propel a fan that keeps debris out of the air filter? My air filter is a tiny cylinder mounted directly on the turbo. Everyone else seems to have a massive air filter, is this right?

At the moment my engine room seems quite spacious. Therefore I would be very interested in seeing pictures from an engine room for Defender 2.5 litre Turbo Diesel engine. In particular I am interested in the arrangement of the AC/Heater and other parts that is connected with hoses.

Brgs

Supersonic

However, on the top of the engine there is a hose fuming out exhaust and if I am not mistaken his hose should propel a fan that keeps debris out of the air filter? My air filter is a tiny cylinder mounted directly on the turbo.

I don't have a clue what this arrangement is - would love to see a picture.

The two heater hoses should be two metal pipes that go along the top of the engine - front to back, and are secured in place by a bracket that is held in place by the middle rocker cover acorn nut. The metal pipes turn right at the back of the engine and are connected to the heater by two rubber pipes. On a worn engine you would expect there to be fumes coming out of the top engine breather that may smell of hot oil/exhaust fumes.

This is the top of a 2.5 N/A engine, but heater hoses are the same arrangement.

gallery_2_161_566670.jpg

Centre clamp

gallery_2_161_686139.jpg

Les. :)

This is for Gruntus, what is the what looks like copper pipe that is above the alternator pulley against the rocker breather pipe? :) Oh it best seen on the first pic.

Hi Phil,

It is was a swan neck made up for the wading pipes on the axle. Basicaly the flexi from the breather t-piece on the axle was then slid up over the copper swan neck.

It is a similar design to those found on the gearbox/transfer breathers

Cheers

Grant :D

A 2.5Turbo diesel engines air intake should draw in air from the left wing just rear of wheel arch,then flexy hose to air cleaner inlet [in the pics above it's not cnnected & the stub faces to the rear] air from the cleaner flows directly into the turbo as shown in the pics, on yours the air cleaner should intake direct from the engine bay or via a snorkel then be routed as described above.

Guest dew110CSW

Know it's a little late... Just taken now, Pics from a 1989 110 CSW TD.

If you would like the full High Res ones (1.6mb a piece) drop me a PM with an E-mail addy

1012684qd7.th.jpg1012685ei0.th.jpg1012686mv3.th.jpg