Defender 90 TD5 heavy clutch

A friend has recently bought a 2002 TD5 90 and he asked me to have a go in it today to see what I thought. All seemed lovely, except I noticed the clutch felt heavy versus mine (300tdi) and the gearchange rather vague (I'm assuming the latter is the bush at the base of the gearstick being worn). I thought that maybe the clutch return spring had broken, as I have had that happen twice (the new 'clothes peg' type). However to my surprise, when I looked the clutch pedal had a coil return spring which was fine, but that accounted for at least some of  the extra clutch effort needed. I understood  maybe incorrectly the clothes peg spring was the latest condition, and had been in use since the 300tdi, hence how come he has a coil? The parts references I looked at suggested that was the case. I know LR would have used whatever handy if short of what they should have used, but looking through the forum eg linky it looks like he is not alone. Has anybody any ideas whether this is intentional, ie there is a sound engineering reason for regressing or just supply problems maybe? It would probably get changed at some point if there was no good reason not to. 

Nigel   

Ah right thanks. That would explain it. Strange, only thing I can think is the attrition rate of springs, or maybe they just found a few pallets of the old ones and thought it was light enough with them. Does anyone know if you want to convert to the 300tdi type if the pedal itself has to change , or is it 'just' a matter of fitting the different spring and associated bushes etc? (I know it's not the easiest thing to do on the car)

My TD5 had the old type of coil spring and a very heavy clutch. I bought the Britpart kit which for £30, is a great mod, it's now as light as a 300tdi and unlike most products in a blue box, it seems to fit and work properly. No other parts needed changing, just remove the old spring and fit the new one with bushes, the holes and locating slot were already present in the pedal. I found the easiest method was to compress the spring in a vice, use a few cable ties to keep it closed then move to the car and once in position, cut the cable ties to release the spring.

https://www.britpart.com/all-parts/da1266/

With regards to gear slop, as well as the nylon cup below the gearstick, check the sides of the gearlever turret for excessive wear, the locating pins on either side can cause wear to the soft casting leading to slop, mine had a similar issues and after replacing both and readjusting the bias springs, it feels much more precise.

• 1 year later...