200tdi cylinder pressures

pigster

I am gona do a pressure test (well 4 to be exact) on my engine this weekend.. what should the pressures be?

any one know?

The problem with getting the right pressure is that is normal new. Where as if you are doing a test . It is useally because their is somthing wrong. and therefore it is not anywhere near new. I have always taken the average. Ie if three are the sameish and one is lower then that is your peoblem. BTW on a tdi it will be number 4 that will almost always give you the problem.

Why are you pressure testing it in the first place?

I am gona do a pressure test (well 4 to be exact) on my engine this weekend.. what should the pressures be?

any one know?

I believe that the 300tdi has the same compression ratio as the 200tdi. This is copied from the 300tdi manual:

'Crank engine for 10-20 seconds and note

reading on gauge. The gauge will indicate the

compression of the cylinder and maintain the

reading until the pressure release valve on the

gauge is depressed.

Expected readings of a crank test, with vehicle

battery fully charged, compression ratio 19.5:1

should be 24 bar (348 lbf/in2).

10. Repeat test procedure for remaining clinders in

turn.

NOTE: A variation in compression

readings between cylinders is often a

better indication of an engine problem

than the absolute values of compression.

11. If compression is appreciably less than correct

reading, or varies by more than 10%, piston

rings or valves may be worn or damaged.

Low pressures in adjoining cylinders may

indicate a faulty cylinder head gasket.'

Don't forget it is not uncommon for cylinder number 4 on a 200tdi to blow head gasket gasket into the pushrod 'tube'. Which would give a low reading on that cylinder.

Regards,

Diff

I am doing the test purely because I am not getting very good miles to gallon, and I am getting a fair amount of smells from the engine that are not right - like a mixture of diesel and oil so I thought instead of taking the head off straight away. I hope it is just the gasket gone somewhere... or failing that just the valve seals not sealing proper like (as I only did them in summer)

if the pressure test doesn't produce any results/ideas then a head off job it is... and redo valve seals again and head gasket again... after all its only a weekends work to get it all done... JOY JOY JOY..

cheers for the info people..

The problem with getting the right pressure is that is normal new. Where as if you are doing a test . It is useally because their is somthing wrong. and therefore it is not anywhere near new. I have always taken the average. Ie if three are the sameish and one is lower then that is your peoblem. BTW on a tdi it will be number 4 that will almost always give you the problem.

Why are you pressure testing it in the first place?

I am doing the test purely because I am not getting very good miles to gallon, and I am getting a fair amount of smells from the engine that are not right - like a mixture of diesel and oil so I thought instead of taking the head off straight away. I hope it is just the gasket gone somewhere... or failing that just the valve seals not sealing proper like (as I only did them in summer)

if the pressure test doesn't produce any results/ideas then a head off job it is... and redo valve seals again and head gasket again... after all its only a weekends work to get it all done... JOY JOY JOY..

cheers for the info people..

Ok fair enough quick question

What mileage has it done. As the 200 Tdi's tend blow a head gasket at about 110,000 ish

are yes the headgasket blower..

yep that went a while ago, I think on the 90 thou mark its now done approx 120 though,, the head has was skimmed when it went pop (which was cylinder no.4 I think - -one next to the bulkhead)

however I have removed it since in order to decoke the head and redo the valves etc etc... so it could be the new HeadGasket (I say new, about 8 month ago now) or me valve caps things... that should stop oil from going down the stem - which causes smoke when she first starts up - lots of ) which is what its doing...

Ok fair enough quick question

What mileage has it done. As the 200 Tdi's tend blow a head gasket at about 110,000 ish

are yes the headgasket blower..

yep that went a while ago, I think on the 90 thou mark its now done approx 120 though,, the head has was skimmed when it went pop (which was cylinder no.4 I think - -one next to the bulkhead)

however I have removed it since in order to decoke the head and redo the valves etc etc... so it could be the new HeadGasket (I say new, about 8 month ago now) or me valve caps things... that should stop oil from going down the stem - which causes smoke when she first starts up - lots of ) which is what its doing...

Take it from my personal expeiance. Only go for a Gen head gasket. They are only a couple of quid more than a non gen but are far better , even to look at. Some of the non gen ones look like they have been made out of a cornflakes packet :) . Where as the Gen ones are alot better.

The 200 Tdi had a problem with the factory fitted head gasket. It would always go at the 4th piston (one near the bulkhead) due to being too thin. So land rover made the replacement alot better. But this means that the 200 Tdis will do a head gasket at about 1000,000 to 125,000 miles with out fail :)

Take it from my personal expeiance. Only go for a Gen head gasket. They are only a couple of quid more than a non gen but are far better , even to look at. Some of the non gen ones look like they have been made out of a cornflakes packet :) . Where as the Gen ones are alot better.

The 200 Tdi had a problem with the factory fitted head gasket. It would always go at the 4th piston (one near the bulkhead) due to being too thin. So land rover made the replacement alot better. But this means that the 200 Tdis will do a head gasket at about 1000,000 to 125,000 miles with out fail :)

Mine hasn't been changed, and it is now on 141000

Don't worry, Mine wasn't replaced until 200,000 plus & then only because I had to lift the head to replace a damaged camshaft.

That's very good to hear Ralph. I've got some big trips coming up in 2007, and I don't want that time bomb feeling under my bonnet.

Cheers, Paul

personnally I would get the engine looked at if I were going on a big trip and make sure it isn't likely to die on you...

especially after that news... :)

genuin item it will be along with the valve seals me thinks..

cheers for the advice.

That's very good to hear Ralph. I've got some big trips coming up in 2007, and I don't want that time bomb feeling under my bonnet.

Cheers, Paul