200tdi sump pan bolts - which go where?

Hello good folks,

The 200tdi sump pan bolts number as follows:

2x25mm
6x20mm
12x60mm

for a total of 20.

does anyone have a reference or know which length bolts go where?

I have attached a photo of my sump pan for reference.

Edited by sonoronos

Neither the parts catalogue or workshop manual states locations apart from the front 3 as Ralph mentioned. These go up into the timing chest. Should be 8x25mm per the catalogue so I wouldn't worry too much about them. Looking at the ladder casting and a small drill bit you should be able to probe the depth to verify what goes where...there is obviously another 5 @ 60mmthat go through the ladder frame into the block. I may whip the sump off my old block tomorrow if I get time

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sonoronos said:

thanks folks - I'll do the drill-bit measure thing tonight and post up the results. Looks like my question was a bit esoteric.

when you do the job, note the lengths on  your sump photo & repost please. it'll help others & I should of done it during my engine rebuild.

Supposed to be 8 at M8x25 according to the parts catalog.  No idea why you have 20 mm.  The long ones are the ones that go through the ladder frame into the block.  It is pretty obvious as the short bolts won't thread into those holes.

thanks everyone, john you're spot on.

I've attached my own measurements to this post as well, hope these all serve some purpose in the future :)

Note that two of the 20mm screw holes are actually quite a bit deeper than 20mm (one is approximately 50mm deep, and the other goes completely through the ladder frame into the engine. The rest are thread-bottomed at 20mm and will not accept a longer bolt.

oilpan3.jpg

I went back under the truck and used a micrometer this time to measure hole depths. The actual hole depths vary with the shallowest being 22.50mm and the deepest being 23.74mm. Not sure why they vary so much, but since the oil pan itself is approximately ~1.96mm thick, I guess they toleranced it.

Funny that 22.50 + 1.96mm is 24.46mm.

Per your recommendation, I've updated the photo annotations to use the workshop value of 25mm, but I guess if anyone in the future tries to tighten a screw and it doesn't go flush, then feel free to go down to a 20mm :)

And just to show that i'm not imagining things, here are the screws that came off my factory engine.

oilpan4.jpg

screws.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
On 3/3/2018 at 10:46 AM, sonoronos said:

I went back under the truck and used a micrometer this time to measure hole depths. The actual hole depths vary with the shallowest being 22.50mm and the deepest being 23.74mm. Not sure why they vary so much, but since the oil pan itself is approximately ~1.96mm thick, I guess they toleranced it.

Funny that 22.50 + 1.96mm is 24.46mm.

Per your recommendation, I've updated the photo annotations to use the workshop value of 25mm, but I guess if anyone in the future tries to tighten a screw and it doesn't go flush, then feel free to go down to a 20mm :)

And just to show that i'm not imagining things, here are the screws that came off my factory engine.

oilpan4.jpg

screws.jpg

Just done an oil change on my Defender with 200tdi Disco engine, I had the same bolt sizes as you, the 2 25mm bolts came out of the holes you have marked as "true Depth 100mm/ True depth 50mm. That way you have 60-20-25-20-25-20-60 at the pointed end.