Steering Lock Stop Bolts

JonR

Hello,

Those of you running Wolf wheels with either 265.75 or 255.85 tyres, I'd like to know how much your lock stop bolts protrude by.

The plan is to adjust mine to give me some idea of the sort of steering lock I'm likely to get and if I can live with it before spending any money on new rubber.

Thanks.

Jon.

Jon,

This might, or might not, be of any help to you. I had Trac Edges 235/85 on Wolfs on my One Ten and had the stop bolts adjusted as per instructions. Which means the recommended clearance between tyre and radius arms.

I then changed the tyres to Cooper S/T 255/85 and have, until now, never given the bolts the slightest thought. :unsure: Anyhow, there hasn't been any rubbing since I changed the tyres, so I suppose all is well. ;):)

When I ran oversized tyres I left the bolts alone as I found that sometimes a bit of tyre rub on the radius arms is worth the extra lock in tight areas. You soon get to know the limits at low speed and if you get that much lock at high speed then the tyre rub is going to be the least of your worries.

Adam

The less lock you have the kinder you are to your CV's, so i would advise open them up before the tire rubs.

Grem

Not heard that before - one could always weld the wheels straight ?! ;);)

LR turning radius isn't great anyway even with the 7.50 R16 tyres on :o i The CVs are designed to handle the lock on the standard set up and as I said in my post above one is not likely to need heavy lock at high speed and at low speed the CV's can definetly cope with it.

I ran 275 85 R16 tyres for four years and the tyre size did alot of damage to the CVs, wheel bearings and indeed whole drive train - as soon as I went back to the standard 7.50 R16 tyres about 3 years ago those things stoped wearing out so fast - conclusion being that the wear factor was the tyre size NOT the turning radius which has remained as factory set since new.

IMHO just leave the bolts as is and let the tyres occasionaly 'polish' the radius arms which incidently clean the tyres of mud quite nicely at full lock.

Adam.

Thanks for all your replies.

I've since found the correct dimensions for the bolts and checked my own bolts, which are adjusted in 10mm less than recommended and the tyres (G90's) are still more than 20mm away from the radius arms.

According to the list of dimensions I have, the bolts only protrude an extra 4mm for 265's when compared to 7.50's so, I imagine, that would equate to not much noticable difference.

Adam, what wheels/offset were you using with the 275's?

Jon.

Hi Jon,

I was running the standard defender rims and running the tyre at a low 28 PSI even on the roads. The tyres were dirt cheap at the time (about 25 quid a tyre including innertube and fitting) as they were xe-army tyres being sold due to their 'shelf life' having expired ie. second hand as new. I finally gave up using them after having a 'brand new' one blow out at speed on a nasty corner which aged me some and caused me to reasses my whole approach. I now run 7.50 R16's or as close as possible and the Defender behaves, drives and handles much better than it ever did on the bigger tyres.

Adam