Starting woes

Morning gents, Iv been having a couple of issues lately with the old 90 and then yesterday found another. She can sit at work for 5-6 days and start first turn of the key then other days sit 5 mins and just a single click or a sound like the battery is flat. Usually in the end she turns over eventually as if the battery is full of life. Iv tested the battery and all is ok and charging fine, yesterday she had sat for the 6 days and fired up first turn of the key so I drove the 6 mile home and stopped at the shop, be lucky to be out 2mins and gets back in and just a click then another click and so on. My old man came out and gave me a tow and she started no probs, drive home and again she wouldn’t start, tried a few times then on the 4th time she started no probs. She’s a kinda bitsa motor fitted with a 300tdi coupled to an lt77 so sits quite far back in the bay. Iv had a look around and whilst in there find the hose from the oil breather had melted through and snapped as it must of been rubbing on the manifold. 

Question is is does this need replaced or can I modify it somehow? Would this affect its starting? Could the excess heat in that area from the turbo and manifold affect the starter motor?

Cheers