Something whirring after engine off

Had an issue yesterday evening and wondered if anyone had any idea what it was. I'd driven back from work and she'd been sitting for about an hour when I got in to start it again. Noticed an electrical whining noise as the engine was running but thought it was someone strimming, also the temp gauge was about at about a third even as I just started her up. Drove for a few minutes and realised the noise was following me so pulled in and stopped the engine, noise kept going. Under the bonnet the noise was coming from the turbo area and there was some smoke coming from there, the engine felt overly hot and she's a bit oily up top so that could be the source of the smoke. Tried turning the key and got nothing at all, disconnected the battery then reconnected it and all now appears fine.

Anyone know what it could be? 300tdi 1998 110csw. 

https://youtu.be/K8qVTufOGBI

Starter stayed engaged, either through a faulty starter relay or starter solenoid.

Well, that is my guess, as when you disconnected the battery it allowed it to unstick and turn off.