To remove or not to remove the dashboard - this is the question....

Hey guys,

As many of you know by now I am currently doing a restoration on my fireservice-yard-find 6-wheeler defender.

I surprisingly found very little rust so far (despite it being 22 years 5 of which stalled) - as you can see from the pics of the footwell on engine bay side these are solid.

I was wondering whether it makes sense to disassemble the complete dashboard (not just where the instruments are but the whole black and grey part) to see whether there is any rust that needs to be treated.

Without taking it off I noticed that there is some surface rust on top of the footwell of the passenger. It's not going through and by removing one part of it I can see grey underneath (you can see from the pic) what do you think it's the best way to treat?

If ultimately I remove the dashboard - would it make sense to put some insulation material (like dynamat) to protect from some of the heat coming from the engine ?

thanks so much!

IMG_20180609_121118.thumb.jpg.00bc87387fe1ecd4b8367c7da39e1c47.jpgIMG_20180609_121109.thumb.jpg.46ddc62338158117f7d10b076acf30a8.jpg5b045a92523b7_IMG_20180428_165740(1).thumb.jpg.0019692417a9f836d9f91470c0c331cd.jpg

Edited by Wheely

thanks @ballcock for the tips - is this an area of the bulkhead that normally rusts out?

Few questions:

1) what should I check of the heater box whilst in there?

2) What do you mean by adding side window ducting? 

2) I was trying to find some guidelines on how to re-grease the splindles - here it shows how to take them out - which part of it needs to be regreased?

HI. Nice,  left hand drive ? Now would be the time to take out the dash and put your mind to rest you will see the wiper setup and be able to sort out any problems. Sort out what ever needs done and be finished. I would also check out the heater is working 100%.

Have fun. Mark  

Whilst I had my dash board out I removed the wiper wheel boxes stripped them apart cleaned them and regreased them, as for the heater box just make sure it is free of rust and that the controls all work, you can also add some small diameter ducting to fit side window demisting vents, there are posts on here somewhere.

I’ve apent years trying to save time by not removing stuff. It’s quicker in the long run to have clear access for whatever you’re doing. You might find more that needs doing whilst your diamantling bits but then you know it’s all back together properly and sound and doesn’t need taking apart again.