Wiper fault

Evening all, I’m having abit of an issue with my wipers at the moment and hope you kind chaps can point out where iv gone wrong. 

Whilst fitting a new bulkhead I fitted new wheel boxes  which work fine if the blades are lifted off the windows but when ye put them down they just click as you watch this cable go back and forth but the wheels stay still. Iv Google’s it and come up with either grease the wheelboxes or loosen the nuts but iv not had a chance to try either yet

You have the right cable and boxes combination?  I may be mistaken, but I think the TD5s went to a plastic gear wheel in the boxes with a finer tooth count and different wheel radius than the older metal type, which would suggest to me that they changed the cable at the same time.  I'm not sure about that, though, as I've never worked on that system of a later vehicle, only SIIIs, which had the same parts as the Defenders up to TD5.

Defo metal wheels, I maybe just need to adjust things a little. They work no probs with the wipers lifted but once back on the window it slightly grips the passenger one but doesn’t move the drivers at all. Must investigate further today

Are you doing this with a dry screen ? if yes, then wet the screen & try the wipers, sounding like a mismatch of drive cable/gears. also try easing the plate that pushes on the gear rear face as it might be to tight against it.

Great. When I did mine I replaced the drive cable too but I wondered whether I could have got away with trying to use a different part of the wheel box gear as I presume not all the teeth are used. I couldn't work out how to be sure I would get the drive onto the correct part, so I bailed out and replaced. :blush: