front cross member replacement

ian_s

so recently I dragged my Series out of where it was stored, and I plan to put it back on the road. 

first thing on the list is the front cross member which is in a pretty bad way. I've cut the worst out today, the metal either side of the dip is still 2mm thick so is good. 

the big questions:

what's the reason for the lowered section? is it just to allow for the PTO hole? 

any reason I can't just replace it with straight box section?

20180723_153208.jpg

20180723_153217.jpg

20180723_153221.jpg

20180723_153300.jpg

20180723_153303.jpg

It's my first car that i've owned for 24 years, resale is never gonna happen!!

200tdi fitted, so I've already lost the starting handle

the only other downsides i can see are that it might not be as strong, but i'm not 100% on that, and secondly I can currently turn the engine over by hand with lots of extension bars through the front bumper, something i rarely do

No reason technically, but if the authorities in your area ever get stupid, then that would be a chassis modification.

You can get entire replacements for reasonable money, no idea as to quality, mind.

Alternatively, a bit of decent box, with a few tabs and a relay hole. Job done.

If that bit is that crispy, I'd take a really good, long hard look over the rest in that area. If it not full of holes, how much metal is actually there and is it worth patching just that bit? New crossmember with dumb irons isn't bank breaking and not much more work than replacing that rotten part anyway. Might be the best long term option if she's a keeper. 

front dumb irons and the main chassis rails are all good still, this is really just a band aid until I can afford a full galvanised chassis which should happen in the next few years. at the moment i'm actually having to put patches on patches, which is never good.