sandblast axels Series 3 LWB SW - Protection needed?

DirkR

Hello, I'm getting my firewall, B & C styles and some rear floor cross members sandblasted. I was preparing my axels too, but now wonder if it's safe with the final drives not disassembled? I closed the open ends with ductape. Do I have to protect the final drives in any way?

Thank you for your answers and friendly greetings,

Dirk

IMG_0795.JPG

I'll be doing similar for my lightweight. I'm strippng the axles completely, and covering all holes and threaded studs with plywood and heavy wall pipe.

In other words, I'd not risk it.

Hmm, lined up?

There's no lining up/adjustment to do on your front axle, you just unbolt that ring and pull it out, the whole lot is an assembled piece, you don't need to do anything special at all.

Refitting is a new gasket, or gasket maker, plonk in place (and it just CAN'T go in the wrong way round) and do the bolts up.

It is no more complicated than changing a wheel.

For the salisbury axle, you are right, it is more work, personally I don't think it worth the hassle unless I was servicing it anyways, I would do as you suggest, wirebrush and paint.

• Like 1

When cleaning with the wirebrush, I use 'ranex rustbuster' (converts rust (if any left) from a detrimental oxide to a beneficial phosphate of iron) as a first layer. Then I paint it with 2 layers of polyurethane acrylpaint. After sandblasting, I was thinking of an epoxyprimer as a first layer and again 1 or 2 layers of polyurethane acrylpaint... I don't know about hot zinc spray. I should ask around for that. What should I do with the breather hole? I was planning on leaving it onto the axle. Should I remove it?

many greetings, dirk