Should an LT77 cope with frequent motorway work?

2 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I wouldn't stress about returning your box as an exchange, I'm sure they get far far worse stuff in & part of the process is to check which bits can & can't be re-used / need machining.

Haha. I have been going round in circles with this one in my mind - it would seem that they didn't do that with mine!

Good bearings incorrectly preloaded could easily be your problem.

The LT77 may be a pretty small box, but as other have said, they've done many, many miles in motorway burning Discoverys in the day.

As a get-you-by, have you considered buying a used box out of a known runner? I know it means two gearbox changes, but it might tide you over until a good remanufactured item is available.

23 hours ago, reb78 said:

I was lookomg at a spexific box though Snagger - see the link above - if its a true military recon that someone else has bought and is selling on would it be less ‘con’ and reasonable workmanship? I’d assume MOD wanted things done properly. 

The ratios are all quite different to the tdi box though, but I wonder if they could make the overdrive a nicer thing to use?

Ha!  You don't know the MoD, and they did get lumbered with Britpart as supplier for a while, a fact that Bripart used as an advert for many years after they were stripped of the contract.  Even the MoD has limits...  But I saw all sorts of bad stuff in the services.  A contractor destroyed 18 RAF Tornados through gross negligence at St Athan while I was there in 93.

I'd second Fridge's comments. OK it was with Ashcrofts but I knackered the bearings in my LT230 earlier in the year due to lack of oil (I'd been meaning to check the level due to an occasional drip, cue 2 years later and probably about 10k miles, oops). Ordered a box from them, once the new one arrived installed it and returned the old one (the low gear had about 1/2" of forwards / backwards play in it). No questions asked refund appeared on the card a few days later.