Steering. Well I’m doing the track rod ends and drop arms should I be doing anything else at the same time?

SamW

Good morning all, apologies if I’m posting this in the wrong place still finding my way around. The insight and knowledge available here has already been really useful so thanks for that. 

Recently aquired a 1989 90, been a low mileage run around for my dad for last 15 years and now i have it I intend to plough so time (and undoubtedly cash) into it to use it for green lanes and bit of off road fun. 

When I got it I for my local garage to give it a check over who amoughst other things said to give attention to steering joints. 

Due to intended purpose I though this a good opportunity to change the steering arms for heavy duty ones. So with those, track rod ends, new drop arm is there anything else connected to the steering it makes sense for me to do now? Considering a damper. Money’s not a bottomless pit but well I’m down there want to make most of my time.

I have very limited experience in mechanics but always done the basics to my road vehicles over the years I hope to be able to complete these myself with the help of the walkthroughs on here and YouTube. Hopefully not biting off more than I can chew!

thanks In advance 

Sam 

B80D1A76-0DB0-40D6-A8A3-CC231BC91810.jpeg

Hi Sam

You have the benefit of knowing what has been done to the vehicle for the last 15 years. At this stage, checking the bushes would be wise, as they are important and relatively cheap. When the wheels are off to change the track rods, check for play in the hub at 12-6 o clock and 3-9 o clock.

The track rods are easiest to change with both wheels jacked up at the same time. This can give you the opportunity to refresh and bleed the power steering fluid as well as adjust the steering box for any play.

For upgrades, get out and use it, then figure out where you think it's lacking and fits what's appropriate.

For maintenance beyond servicing, I would wait for things to break and fix them as they come up. It shouldn't be long on a vehicle that age 😉

haha, you’re right there.

the to do list is already starting to grow faster than the trip list but that was to be extpected. However not too scary (yet)with steering joints, then onto rotting outriggers, tub balling, few panel/structural repairs, footwells, all doors as well as a host of other bits and bobs and anything I can break along the way. 

Sounds like good advice all round. As I’m doing most of it the Glynn Lewis kit looks good but certainly make the most and check on what’s suggested to make the most of the opportunity. 

Thank you

While you're in there, change the short shaft with universal-joints and the collapsible-bit that links the bottom-end of the steering column itself to the steering-box.

Slack/wear in this bit adds 'random slop' to the steering which will make piloting your vehicle down the M5 at 80MPH in windy conditions a bowel-loosening experience.

Trust me on this.

For that matter why buy hd steering arms either?  Really not needed for green laning. Unless the old ones are damaged just set some cash aside to get the important stuff sorted out - worn bushes, leaking seals, timing belt, lights and switches, tyres - you will have plenty of opportunity to spend on the car don't worry 😉

Thanks all for the replies. 

I was only changing the arms because I was down there and had been mentioned as comon problem so if they should suffice I’ll leave them for now and stick to changing what’s failed or failing and having a good check over well it’s got its feet up. 

Thanks 

Sam