TD5 alarm

Morning All,

Happy New Year everyone!  It's been a while since I posted here, but I am a few weeks in to a '03 TD5 double-cab, so a whole host of new issues to sort out! (an 'upgrade' from the 300Tdi 90).

Currently on my mind is the alarm.  As far as I can tell, this doesn't work at all.  The light flashes about once a second all the time I'm driving, but doesn't come on at all when I lock with the central locking (key doesn't work in the door - another issue!).  Also, possibly related, the interior light doesn't come on when the doors open - it's fine on the switch on the light, but not the doors.

I've assumed that both of these have been switched off in the ECU for some reason.  I'm also assuming that the alarm was switched off because there was some issue with it, but maybe a previous owner had a dog and was getting false triggers? (here's hoping!).  I don't get any warning sound if I try to lock with the door open.

So, a few questions if anyone can shed some light for me...

Can the lights and alarm be switched on/off in the ecu through Nanocom?

Does this mean that any toe-rag with a nanocom can break in and simply switch off the alarm and immobiliser?

Assuming there was some issue with either the alarm or immobiliser, how hard is it to diagnose and fix such issues - does nanocom tell me why the alarm was triggered so that I can fault-find it?

Does anyone know of a group-buy for nanocom atm?!

Is there a handy guide to the alarm/immobiliser somewhere?

Many thanks everyone,

John

The Lucas 10AS alarm ECU is a generic unit used in a number of different cars, (Defender, Discovery 2, some Rovers)  and as such is fully configurable with the right diagnostic tool.

So yes, the interior light operation, locking and remote locking actions and alarm functionality can all be controlled via a Nanocom or similar.

For example, I've got mine set so that the volumetric alarm is armed when locking with the key fob but not so if I lock it with the key, this is to prevent false triggers if I leave the dogs in the car and/or a window open.

There's a lot of useful info here -

https://nanocom-diagnostics.com/downloads/preview/lucas-10as-alarm-nanocom-evolution

I don't know of any current group buys going on just now, the last one I could find was about 2 years ago on Defender2.net

Edited by crwoody

Thanks Woody, I'm definitely going to need my own nanocom if I'm going to tackle this one, I can borrow one off a mate, but I suspect I'm going to be going through a few issues to get it working properly, so I'll get my own.

That linked document is great, thanks.

John 

Hey John,

My internal light did not come when door opening and flashers not going when arming the alarm on my 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi

See down in the middle of link below to my blog. Sent off the 10AS unit to get reprogrammed and all working great now.

https://pellylandroverdefender.blogspot.com/p/autumn-2017.html

Note that seem to recall that the internal lights not coming on was an issue that need to be fixed with the 10AS, not just reprogramming.

Simon...

Edited by simonpelly