Webasto controller issues

Sharp

Having some issues with my webasto thermo top c after shortening the cables to the controller and I was hoping someone might be able to help me figure out what's wrong. This is a picture of the controller before I shortened the wire:

IMAG0139.thumb.jpg.0d6315b33528a536c0506ac163cfda99.jpg

I disconected the battery, chopped the cable and crimped new terminals on. I don't really have any reason to doubt the connections aren't sound, it's the correct crimping tool for the terminals and the right size terminals for the wire. I can see the wire in contact with the metal and the wires are all solidly crimped in place. Not sure if there's anything else I should be concerned about with the connections I've made? They were a little stiffer to push onto the male spade terminals than the original blue ones but at the time I didn't think I was using a level of force which would have caused any damage.

P1050533.thumb.JPG.690d8a93774ef1a958aa8d6910672724.JPG

During normal operation, when put into the on position the red light on the controller goes on. I'm not sure if this is something that happens as a result of the heater giving feedback to the controller that it is working or whether the light comes on whenever the controller is in the on position? The red light is not coming on now when I switch it to the on position. This is a picture of the front of the controller.

P1050535.thumb.JPG.91faa894e447b61733021d849feeab21.JPG

I have run through the webasto reset proceedure, I can't remember off the top of my head what it is but I followed the instructions which are something along the lines of remove the main fuse, wait ten seconds, turn on etc. This hasn't had any effect.

Does anyone have any suggestions? My initial thoughts were my connections were bad, I've damaged the controller somehow or I have somehow put the unit into lock down. If anyone has one of these controllers or knows how they work I would be grateful to know whether the red light comes on regardless of whether it is connected to a working machine. If it does then that would point to the controller having been damaged. I assume there is a way of connecting the wires together to make the heater work without the controller but my aimless effort touching the terminals together was fruitless. I'd be grateful of any suggestions as to what I can do to see what the problem is. Thankfully it's been T-Shirt weather today but I'd like to get it working again before the winter is out.

No, I only shortened it by a couple of feet. I got the heater from someone on ebay and the loom was all nicely wired up with quite a long set of wires to the controller. I went back a couple of feet and reterminated the 4 wires there so haven't touched any other part of the loom. Foolishly I didn't even tunr it on to test it after I'd finished, just assuming I hadn't really changed anything so it would work as it had been doing!

Edited by Sharp

If your clock is powering up then it's getting a suitable supply which means either the switch isn't operating or the crimps aren't quite right. use a multi meter and check input voltage  and also the voltage output at the terminals. The light on the clock probably only lets you know that the heater should be on. if you haven't got a multi meter then use the old bulb holder method.

Thanks for the suggestions, had a chance to look at it yesterday and it just turned out to be the fuse for the controller. I must have touched the wires together and blown it while I was swapping over.

2 hours ago, Sharp said:

Thanks for the suggestions, had a chance to look at it yesterday and it just turned out to be the fuse for the controller. I must have touched the wires together and blown it while I was swapping over.

Glad to hear it's sorted.