Screen to Roof seal

Cornish Rattler

You've had the bulkhead redone? Sure the windscreen brackets are in exactly the right place and the gap is correct? 

I don't believe they're a super tight fit anyway or fitting the winscreen would be impossible. That's a very large seal to squish! 

9 minutes ago, lo-fi said:

You've had the bulkhead redone? Sure the windscreen brackets are in exactly the right place and the gap is correct? 

I don't believe they're a super tight fit anyway or fitting the winscreen would be impossible. That's a very large seal to squish! 

Yeah its a recon'd galv bulkhead that's replaced the original bulkhead, at first I was thinking the windscreen brackets were out or something and came up with an idea to replace the bolts that go through the screen brackets with thinner ones which should lower the screen but then I would have the same problem at the screen to roof seal so I decided to leave that idea, i'm not sure if its worth doubling up on both seals or not as I can't think of anything else that would cause it other than the bulkhead being out somewhere as the roof and screen are original to the vehicle.

On 4/15/2019 at 9:42 AM, lo-fi said:

I've got an unmolested 2a bulkhead here, I'll measure the distance between the hole and the surface the seal sits on later. Worth checking, I reckon. 

Paint looks great, by the way the way! 

Cheer's that would be great, i imediatly thought that the distance between the bottom of the bulkhead to the top of the bulkhead was wrong but i don't have the old bulkhead now and even if i did i don't think it would be much help with the condition it was in.

Ah. Would that cock the front of the tub up?

You've a new chassis, so the bulkhead riggers should be right.

It's hard, not impossible, to get the feet of the bulkhead wrong. The rest is fixed, so it has to be the back that's wrong, I think.

You might lose the problem by slackening the tub fittings, the bulkhead crossmembers fittings and tightening the roof first, it should compress the seal (genuine?). Then the rest can be tightened.

Alignment is a sod of a job.

4 hours ago, Gazzar said:

Ah. Would that cock the front of the tub up?

You've a new chassis, so the bulkhead riggers should be right.

It's hard, not impossible, to get the feet of the bulkhead wrong. The rest is fixed, so it has to be the back that's wrong, I think.

You might lose the problem by slackening the tub fittings, the bulkhead crossmembers fittings and tightening the roof first, it should compress the seal (genuine?). Then the rest can be tightened.

Alignment is a sod of a job.

Cheer's i will give that ago at the weekend.

If you have a long straight edge, and are willing to risk the new paint, lay it along the crease for the waist, and that will soon tell you. Or string would do.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorted, I was suppose to have been fitting the door seals today but remembered I had forgotten about the bulkhead and screen to roof seals so after looking at it all and thinking about it all ( a petrol can and a match sprung to mind ) I reluctantly decided on dropping the fuel tank, lifting the seat box and slacken off every bracket that connects the body to the chassis inc slackening off the roof / van sides and bulkhead and tweaking where needed with a jack and a block of wood and it looks like I've got it :D

So I am now going out to get a crate of beer and get absolutely smashed :D

• Like 1