Painting a new Crossmember

So have a nice new cross member fitted, its looking great but only has the standard black finish. The insides have been waxoiled as per but what should I do with all the outward facing sections regarding rust prevention? should these also get a coat of waxoil? 

In my experience, the standard black coating that comes with after-market chassis parts will give you a couple of years of protection and then it'll start to stain and ultimately rust. I think the best way to properly sort it would be to strip the existing coating off (or at least key into it) and apply something a little bit more rugged. The experts will be along shortly to let you know what that coating should be but I'm a fan of red oxy as a base coat.

I haven't done mine yet but I've got the fxliner kit from buzzweld  - http://www.buzzweld.co.uk/fxliner-1k-crossmember-bumper-refurbishing-kit.html.

The crossmember on mine is about 3 or 4 years old, it had been left with the original paint and I gave it a coating of dinitrol while I was doing the chassis just over a year ago. Probably an element of user error and I didn't put it on thick enough but it started rusting around the edges pretty quickly and is covered in surface rust now.