Sign in to follow this  
dave88sw

Piston rings

Hoping someone can help put my mind at ease.

I've just bought a set of piston rings for an engine i'm rebuilding.  They're a good brand, ordered from my local engine remanufacturer who uses the brand for all of his rebuilds.  When comparing them to the old rings, the top ring is a fair bit narrower (when viewed from the top, they're the same thickness where they fit in the groove).  Should this matter?  I imagine it should be fine as it's plenty wide enough to engage in the groove.  The ring gap is within spec in all cylinders.

Picture: Top ring is original, lower one is the new ring.20190520_165129.thumb.jpg.d53e6cf13214c9db70c09daf9db68ec3.jpg

You can only measure the gap objectively with the ring in the bore.  As the outer circumference wears (as appears to be the case with the old ring), the gap will grow.

They will be fine , the critical things are end gap within spec and clearance in the groove in spec too . the inside diameter is not critical at all .

Fit them with the gaps at 120 degrees to the previous one , happy building :)

cheers

Steve b

Thanks for the replies.  I have measured the gap in the cylinder and they're fine, i was just surprised the new ring was narrower than the old one. 

You've put my mind at ease though, I've got to glaze bust the cylinder but hopefully i'll start fitting it up at the weekend.

Thanks

Dave