Pillar Rust

Any suggestions for a simple way to address the rust issue on the door pillars of my 1996 110? Have looked at a number of related topics but the corrosion seems more acute than what I have found. Perhaps I am fooling myself but the rust on the door pillars seems superficial—have given it a good look with prodding on the inside. The rust colour is about the same on the left hand side.

_DSC6100.jpg

It does look relatively superficial. But before investing a lot of time and effort in rectification, have a look underneath, just behind the seat box where the bottom hinge of the second row door bolts on to, ie where the other end of the bolts are. If all Ok, lovely. But... that can be a trouble point. 

On 7/12/2019 at 4:23 AM, cackshifter said:

It does look relatively superficial. But before investing a lot of time and effort in rectification, have a look underneath, just behind the seat box where the bottom hinge of the second row door bolts on to, ie where the other end of the bolts are. If all Ok, lovely. But... that can be a trouble point. 

Thank you for this suggestion. There is no sign of rust where you recommended I look. I was also able to inspect the inside of the pillar that would correspond with the rust on the outside and all was clean. This vehicle spent a good chunk of its life in South Africa/Botswana under arid conditions. The minimal rust that has appeared has, no doubt, been mainly caused by its new home for the past several years on the west coast of Canada.

Having never done body work, I will attempt to remove the rust, smooth with body filler if needed, and repaint. New paint will be cleaner/brighter than the old surrounding it.

Looks like it just needs a rub down and repaint locally.  Get the paint matched properly and you shouldn’t have too much colour difference, but a gentle cut and polish of the rest of the body would probably be due given the harsh sun in Africa.

make sure you get plenty of cavity wax injected inside the box sections of the pillars, bulkhead, doors and anything else, even between the tub cappings and tub skin, before rust sets in.  Get the chassis and underside well cleaned and protected.  Dinitrol would be a good option in Canada, though Buzzweld seem to make better products if you can get them shipped.