Wobble Wobble Vibrate

Hapy New Year to all!

I've recently converted my truck cab to hard top. Whilst at the scrap yard, I noticed they had some nice freestyle alloys with even nice BFG All Terrains on them. I don't know the exact sizes etc of the tyres and it's raining at the moment so I'll not be going and looking!

The tyres were fitted and I drove the 60 miles back from Telford with them without a problem (although due the lack of rear door at the time, the cold was more of an issue!)

I've since noticed that the whole vehicle vibrates/wobbles when accelerating between about 40 and 50. It doesn't matter whether I'm in 4th or 5th at the time. The whole vehicle wobbles. If I'm decelerating from 50 to 40, there's no wobble. I had the wheels balanced on the weekend but it still happens...

I believe it could be anything from the transfer box to the diffs to the propshafts...

Any other ideas from anyone or am I best taking it into the garage?

Guest diesel_jim

Jack the front ones up, and spin them around, or (if you're very careful) have someone sit in the vehicle, put it in gear and let the wheel spin around on tickover, and see if the rim is buckled.

Although ATS should have spotted that when they checked the balancing.

If you do jack the vehicle up with the engine running, don't forget to support the vehicle securely on axle stands :rolleyes:

Jack the front ones up, and spin them around, or (if you're very careful) have someone sit in the vehicle, put it in gear and let the wheel spin around on tickover, and see if the rim is buckled.

Although ATS should have spotted that when they checked the balancing.

Check your nuts.... :unsure:

The old style alloy wheel nuts (solid with a washer) have a slightly different depth to the newer ones (stainless steel clad).

I found that with my Compomotives, I though the nut was tight against the wheel but it had bottomed out leaving the wheel slightly slack. Didn't notice till I went for a drive and it felt weird but had an accompanying sound like a million bottle tops...