Shaking at high speed: wrong pressure or wrong balancing?

russianfrog

Hi everyone,

Winter has come and winter tyres are on. Off from the garage who did the mounting, I noticed a strong shaking from the streering wheel on highway, above 100km/h. Immediately, I thought the balancing was wrong. The segmeent on which I was driving was new, but who knows maybe it's wrongly done too.

Also, I remember the mechanic pumped up the tyres at 3 atmosheres (which seemed too high to me, but well, it was done).

So, before going back to the garage for a check I wanted to ask you for opinions. What do you thing is happening?

I'm driving my Defender 110 from 2007, with Nokian's Hakkapeliitta LT2 235/85 R16 tyres, Two are one year old, two a few years older (I had to change two because of a serious puncture)

Edited by russianfrog

4 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

How were the tyres stored?

Probably not optimally: Mounted on steel wheels, they are neatly pilled, wrapped under some tarp, under a roof, yet not in a closed building. I've been keeping my tyres like that for years.

If stored flat there should no out-of-roundness, so it is unclear why they should be doing that.

It is of course possible the balance is out, but also possible that by changing tyres it has uncovered a worn out bush/lack of preload on the swivel bearings, for example. 

I'd ask for a balance check and go from there, quite possible some weights have got knocked off in storage.

38 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

If stored flat there should no out-of-roundness, so it is unclear why they should be doing that.

It is of course possible the balance is out, but also possible that by changing tyres it has uncovered a worn out bush/lack of preload on the swivel bearings, for example. 

I'd ask for a balance check and go from there, quite possible some weights have got knocked off in storage.

Yes, they are stored flat.

For information, I've jsut received an answer from Nokian's customer service (light speed answer!), suggesting a pressure for such combinationof 250/270 kpa.

I'll go back to the garage, ask for a balance check up and anyway ask to lower the pressure.

Thanks for the help!

On 10/31/2019 at 12:00 PM, Simon Smith said:

I've given up with balancing now, and have been using beads for a couple of years. never a hint of wobble or vibration. Never going back to weights.

I've been running beads too since I galvanised the steel rims and not had any problems at all.