Reverse switch defender

Morning. I was wondering why there was no reverse light on.my defender. So I think I've found the issue when I got access to the switch. I think the two wires lying loose look like they belong but they are tight and don't seem to get up to the switch. I'll check from below re any snags but any idea which goes where and if it's easy to test with a multimeter?

Thanks for any help.

IMG_20191202_120647.thumb.jpg.f260c7a70ed74825ff994761cf9c21a9.jpg

The little connector bottom left of the picture is you reverse light switch. Simple thing... You should have a live wire and earth  that is connected to your reverse light. When reverse is selected, it closes the switch and powers the reverse light. Check if either of those lights are positive when the engine is running. (I don't have a wiring diagram to hand to check the colour the wire should be)

As said above, joining them together when the engine is running / ignition live should light the revers light is the correct wires. 

The +12V feed to the switch is Green (ignition enabled) and the switched side is Green / Brown. From there it goes off to the rear right and then to the left side lamp.

There may be unused wires, Slate / Red floating around. This is for gearbox oil temperature.

Edited by Peaklander

the 2 unconnected wires should connect to the switch in bottom left of your photo without any extension wires being needed, look on top of the right hand main chassis rail to see if the 2 wires have been looped or wrapped around to keep them out of the way, if they can't be moved then just use some suitable wires & make 2 extension wires to fit.

as mentioned above

plain green is the 12v ignition supplied feed & green/brown trace goes to the reverse light.