R380/LT230 balance point

JohnnoK

Does anyone have an idea where the centre of balance is on the R380/LT230 combination?
I am looking fore and aft only, not lateral, with the eye to where to hoist it to reinstall. Can it be done via the rubber boot hole for the shift stick or do I need to pull the whole panel out that holds the Hi/Low stick, too?

I don't think you will be able to lift it at the balance point, through the gear shift stick, although that is described as such in the Haynes manual

I have removed a few D1 gearbox/trfr box assemblies from D1s, but I do it all from the bottom. I have a service pit with a trolley on rails that lifts, and moves the assembly into position

22 hours ago, Sabre said:

I don't think you will be able to lift it at the balance point, through the gear shift stick, although that is described as such in the Haynes manual

I have removed a few D1 gearbox/trfr box assemblies from D1s, but I do it all from the bottom. I have a service pit with a trolley on rails that lifts, and moves the assembly into position

You are probably right with the tunnel lift, but I am going to use a chain block as primary lifting means through the tunnel hole and a jack for longitudinal correction. I have made up a small gantry that fits over the tunnel and that will hold the chain block nicely over the hole. I took the whole plate out, rather than faff through the gearstick hole, which will help move the lift point towards the TC a bit more.

As for your pit..... bah, humbug! That is on the cards for me, but I believe the Monkeypality takes a dim view of such things.                                                                                           How is yours built? Bricks or a drop in prefab arrangement?

gantry front.jpg

gantry back.jpg

gantry below.jpg

clutch done.jpg

"As for your pit..... bah, humbug! That is on the cards for me, but I believe the Monkeypality takes a dim view of such things.                                                                                           How is yours built? Bricks or a drop in prefab arrangement?"

Dug trench in the ground and built with bricks. Did it many years ago

On 12/31/2019 at 2:27 PM, Sabre said:

Dug trench in the ground and built with bricks. Did it many years ago

Probably  what I will do. There's a bit of an issue with my garage boundary to sort out first... it seems my council approved plans and the inspector coming around and approving my trenches when I built the garage weren't enough and I suddenly find I am a good half meter over the street side boundary....🥴

Where in SA are you?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2020 at 5:16 PM, JohnnoK said:

Probably  what I will do. There's a bit of an issue with my garage boundary to sort out first... it seems my council approved plans and the inspector coming around and approving my trenches when I built the garage weren't enough and I suddenly find I am a good half meter over the street side boundary....🥴

Where in SA are you?

Hi John, you can get permission to cross the building boundary, but it is a schlep. I have just gone through the process in Mossel bay

I am staying in Sasolburg (that is where my service pit is)