300Tdi indicator fault

Good morning folks, I’m a new member and have problems with my 1994 300 TDi Defender 90, it was completely rebuilt 6 years ago, Richards chassis, loads of new stuff, all the lights ect, however it’s just developed a fault on the dash, the green indicator repeat light has stopped flashing, all the indicators work as they should, hazards are ok, and trailer lights ok, but the green trailer light on dash flashes with or without a trailer attached, I have changed the small bulb in the dash, the original looked ok but replaced with a new one to be sure, no change fault remained, I think it could be a Earth connection, but don’t no quite where to start, any ideas as to the cause or cure would be great Bri

Cause could be....

Corrosion 

Rubbing/Chafing 

Bad earth

Failed connection

Water damage and the list goes on.

As to where you start.....i would start at the light and work/trace the wire to wherever it goes, checking for all the above. PITA job but other than that it's guess work.

Good morning Mutley

The 300 was completely rebuilt unto a Richards Chassis 5 ish years ago, only does about 1500 miles a year mainly towing, it’s stored in a very good dry workshop built new 2015. Back to the 300 all the lights were replaced so all should be OK, the dash is original but all still works as it should, I’ll start at the dash again and work away from that. Thanks Bri

Could I ask could there be another earth connection that could cause issues, such as from battery, engine block, to chassis? Or other important Earth, I’m not the best at electrics but do understand the earthing issues and the problems it can cause!

I would check all connectors relevant to the light, seperate them and clean up scuff up a bit as they can suffer dry corrosion. 

If the indicators are working then i would guess its only a problem from the junction where they come together back to the dash light, so this should narrow the path to check???

Or you could hold out for a grown up to come along and put their finger on the problem???

Cheers Andy 

On 3/31/2020 at 8:58 AM, bikeit said:

Could I ask could there be another earth connection that could cause issues, such as from battery, engine block, to chassis? Or other important Earth, I’m not the best at electrics but do understand the earthing issues and the problems it can cause!

There is a bunch of plain black earth wires on bulkhead adjacent to the clutch master cylinder/pedal assembly, try cleaning all of these & see if it cures the fault.

11 minutes ago, Sharp said:

Mine does this as well but the trailer light just flashes on once when you engage the indicator switch then goes off. Just assumed it was meant to!

NO trailer coupled --- trailer indicator light on dash should flash ONCE then go off when left or right is selected.

With trailer coupled --- trailer indicator light should flash in unison with vehicle indicators when selected. 

hazard lights on, --- all external indicators, trailer, vehicle green arrows, hazard light red triangle should all flash in unison. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, western said:

NO trailer coupled --- trailer indicator light on dash should flash ONCE then go off when left or right is selected.

With trailer coupled --- trailer indicator light should flash in unison with vehicle indicators when selected. 

hazard lights on, --- all external indicators, trailer, vehicle green arrows, hazard light red triangle should all flash in unison. 

Ah , mine does this ! I assumed I had a fault , you have saved me some head scratching 🙂

• Like 1

My 90 did as western states, all worked ok with or without a trailer  but now the left right green arrows don’t flash, however I will try the bulkhead connections and clean those many thanks for all your replies Bri