Urgent help needed!

Paul64

What a stupid mistake. Topped up my tank in France with spare fuel can. The plastic spout detached and slid straight down into the tank. I just stood there is disbelief. I am on the ferry at the moment in the middle of the channel on my way to UK. Can't dock for at least another hour due to high winds. To be honest it doesn't look that windy to me, but there you go.

How big a problem do you think this pipe is. Will it need instant retrieval, or can it wait? How the hell will I get it out?

Cheers,

Paul.

I would leave it

it will float on top of the fuel in the tank

sort it when more convenient

Thanks,

I have an old REME friend in Sittingbourne i was going to contact. What do you think would be the best way to get it out?

Cheers,

Paul

I wouldn't worry about it too much in the short term. It may bob about and it may cause the float arm for the fuel sender to have a minor hiccup everynow and again. Realistically you may only be able to get it out by removing the tank filler hoses and fishing around for it. It will be easier with an empty tank when it is removed from the vehicle.

Regards,

Diff

Guest diesel_jim

How long is the bit of tube that fell off?

reason is, the pipe that goes into the fuel tank has a bend in it (on the 110's, a double bend on 90's) so i reckon it might be lodged in the bend as it goes into the tank.

worth removing the jubilee clip and pulling the filler pipe off of the tank (making sure the tank isn't full to the brim first!) it might be sat there.

Thanks for all the advice. I certainly saw it slip past the bend, and it is anout 10 inches in length. I have got to change the sender unit, as the fuel guage is not accurate. already got a new one for the job. Do you think I will be able to get it out when i do this job?

I have just nipped onto forum from friends house as couldn't find a single cafe with wi-fi in King's Lynn! What is that all about.

Cheers,

Paul