winch motor repairs

unclebill

Anyone out there who can recommend a repair, rewind company in the Hampshire,Sussex area for a winch motor.

New motor bought at Sodbury which worked fine and then for some reason now only turns slowly and I think is pulling a lot of amps, it stalled the engine when I hit the in out switch, I know the contactors etc are all OK as it runs the winch with no problems but when I connect it to the new motor,yuck.

Think it needs to go to the professionals so any recommendations.

Cheers bill

if it stalled the engine it sounds like a dead short to me!

Exactly, metered the coil, thats OK, no short, checked the brush assemble, thats not shorting, so methinks it must be in the armature, there endeth my knowledge, time for the pros.

I'm afraid to say that if its needs anything other than brushes, its more economical to bin it and purchase a shiney new one!

I looked into this a few years ago. Could find plenty of places that re-wound motors, but none that would do a DC one. All apparently only deal with AC ones.

Jon

I'm afraid to say that if its needs anything other than brushes, its more economical to bin it and purchase a shiney new one!

I looked into this a few years ago. Could find plenty of places that re-wound motors, but none that would do a DC one. All apparently only deal with AC ones.

Jon

There a chap in Emsworth will do them, and he's prices are ok - not got his details to hand, but will try and dig 'em out for ya.

N.

would it be worth asking somewhere that refurbs/remakes starter motors? those are similar power/size DC motors arent they?

The guy I'm on about does those sorts of things. Can't find his card, but he works out of a shed off East street in Westbourne. There's a short lane off to the right (coming from the square as it were) and easy to miss, leads to a very small industrial/workshop type place.

Sorry to be so vague, but I've found him very useful in the past.