where is the ecu

flatback90

forgot to ask this on other topic mate has a 300tdi auto with fly by wire throttle thats giving trouble wont start ticks over fine then cuts out was told it is the ecu but we cant find it to take it out to replace it where did landrover hide it?

the ecu is as far a i am aware is located behind radio its a black box with a 10 pin plug going to it to remove it the only way i know is to remove dashboard unless anyone has an easier way good luck

i thought most the problems with the fly-by-wire systems were down to the throttle potentiometer (sensor) breaking down. could be a lot easier to swop out as an experiment if you can get your hands on a known good one. i expect there is a range of readings you could test for to check it as well, i believe its nothing more fancy than a varible resistor. i wonder if anyone on here has the figures for it?

FWIW The black module with 10 pin plug behind the radio is the immobiliser spider, that's the little jobbie that gets dry joints and makes your engine cut out or stops your starter motor from working (been discussed lots elsewhere in the forum). Although an EDC equipped 300 TDI doesn't have one anyway!

The ECU is in drivers kick panel usually as already mentioned!

Shaun

nah not chippin need to replace it coz it will start and tick over all day but when u drive it it will go 20yds then die with tons of whitish(diesel) smoke and wont rev at all. we presume its the ecu but could be the pot on the fly by wire throttle which begs the question wheres the pot?

nah not chippin need to replace it coz it will start and tick over all day but when u drive it it will go 20yds then die with tons of whitish(diesel) smoke and wont rev at all. we presume its the ecu but could be the pot on the fly by wire throttle which begs the question wheres the pot?

sounds more like fuel problems to me than electronics but just my 2p...