Land Rover series 3 Lightweight/Airportable chassis dimensions

jackl

16 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Outriggers and rear cross member different also gearbox cross member bolt on, think main rails are the same it's the outriggers that make the who!e thing narrower regards Stephen 

Thanks for that help, looking to replace a cross member on the chassis and do a couple repairs

23 hours ago, Gazzar said:

Which crossmember? 

Done most on mine.

No 1 crossmember unique to lightweight, 2 is standard, 3 is military, 4 is unique and 5 is military.

Thanks for your reply, I am looking to replace the rear crossmember on the chassis, but want the dimensions to be correct when refitting the rear crossmember, but I can't seem to find any dimensions anywhere

Ah. Yes.

Is the body still on?

There's a few options.

Any series military crossmember will fit.

You can get with extensions, without, or even quarter chassis, depending on the rot. You might even get one that's galvanized. Some make their own from box section.

If the rear tub is still on you can cut off the old X member and use the body as a jig.

If not then you may make a jig before cutting.  Look at the thread SWB V8 by big J on the members forum to see one option.

The rear crossmember is in the same place as the civvy chassis, so the dimensions in the ROM should be quite close if the body isn't in place. i

Here's mine before I got the chassis galvanised. I used a jig and a tape measure to get the dimensions.

IMG_20180724_191203.jpg

On 12/11/2020 at 6:22 PM, Gazzar said:

Ah. Yes.

Is the body still on?

There's a few options.

Any series military crossmember will fit.

You can get with extensions, without, or even quarter chassis, depending on the rot. You might even get one that's galvanized. Some make their own from box section.

If the rear tub is still on you can cut off the old X member and use the body as a jig.

If not then you may make a jig before cutting.  Look at the thread SWB V8 by big J on the members forum to see one option.

The rear crossmember is in the same place as the civvy chassis, so the dimensions in the ROM should be quite close if the body isn't in place. i

Here's mine before I got the chassis galvanised. I used a jig and a tape measure to get the dimensions.

IMG_20180724_191203.jpg

The body is not still on the chassis, the rot is bad so will replace the rear crossmember with extensions, I have be told that series military crossmembers don't fit as they are wider then the lightweight crossmember?

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2020 at 6:41 PM, Gazzar said:

Where's the fun in that?

Seriously. Good advice.

I bought a standard military crossmember. 

It's narrower than the tub.

IMG_20201214_183738.jpg

IMG_20201214_183656.jpg

Thank you, if it is narrower then the tub, won't that be a problem?

On a civvy series the body caps extend beyond the crossmember, so a shorter crossmember is beneficial.

IMG_20201231_104356.thumb.jpg.bc0e23e514b58539925d3e5d6dabc575.jpg

The lightweight tub has no cappings, so it's even less of an issue.

IMG_20201231_104454.thumb.jpg.9877e1b6dbea99871f869f408fb082f0.jpg

2 hours ago, Gazzar said:

On a civvy series the body caps extend beyond the crossmember, so a shorter crossmember is beneficial.

IMG_20201231_104356.thumb.jpg.bc0e23e514b58539925d3e5d6dabc575.jpg

The lightweight tub has no cappings, so it's even less of an issue.

IMG_20201231_104454.thumb.jpg.9877e1b6dbea99871f869f408fb082f0.jpg

Ok, thank you for your help, I will look for a rear cross member with extensions or a new 1/4 chassis

5 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

Hope it's useful information. Post up sooner photos as you got along, it's good to check your work, as we've all made most of the mistakes already!

Ok, thank you for all your help, it has been very useful. One last thing, have you got any tips for cleaning the chassis back to bare metal?

30 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

I use a flap disk on a grinder.

Great for this but make sure you've scraped all old underseal off otherwise it will just clog flap wheel up and smear bitumen all over regards Stephen 

Edited by Stellaghost
Spelling

14 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Great for this but make sure you've scraped all old underseal off otherwise it will just clog flap wheel up and smear bitumen all over regards Stephen 

I will make sure I do, as I can see that becoming a problem