MOT Failure

Fooman

Hi folks I'm a brand newbie with a serious issue. I'm currently away from home and my son has just put my 06 Freelander TD4 in for MOT yesterday. Sadly it failed on the prop shaft of all things??? The guy gave my son a rough estimate of around £800 for the job which seems very excessive to me. Now I'm no mechanic but I would be interested in members thoughts on this cost. By the way if it wasnt for the fact I replaced the rear windscreen very recently at a cost of £400 the MOT failure would be signaling a "Spares or repair" add. 🤢

^ what Bowie said.

£800 is insanity for a propshaft - the viscous coupling is about 250 recon from Bell Engineering, the UJ's are dirt cheap and the support bearings (which do wear out) are about £50 a pop for genuine (which I recommend sticking with) and fairly simple to replace.

The damper ring on the coupling can deteriorate & come loose but it's not essential, you can bin it, and as Bowie says you can just pull the whole prop off for the MOT and they can't say anything. Juts avoid racing starts in 2WD as it knackers the lower engine mounting bush.

11 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Remove it, then they can't fail you for it.

And no, I am not joking....  they run fine without. Then you can fix and repair it when you aren't over a barrel, and right before Christmas.

Thanks for that, I will consider doing it if all else fails to get roadworthy, thanks for the reply.

7 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

^ what Bowie said.

£800 is insanity for a propshaft - the viscous coupling is about 250 recon from Bell Engineering, the UJ's are dirt cheap and the support bearings (which do wear out) are about £50 a pop for genuine (which I recommend sticking with) and fairly simple to replace.

The damper ring on the coupling can deteriorate & come loose but it's not essential, you can bin it, and as Bowie says you can just pull the whole prop off for the MOT and they can't say anything. Juts avoid racing starts in 2WD as it knackers the lower engine mounting bush.

Great advice thanks, I am home early Jan so I will see what my local friendly mechanic can help with, thanks for the advice.

Thanks for the input gents, I've now been in contact with Austen from Bellengineering and he has advised all the parts I need for the repair posted at less than half the price of the original quote, result

• Like 2

9 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Result!

I meant to say; if you need a recon VCU, get them to supply it with the new bearings pressed on, but I'm guessing you may have just done that ;)

Good luck!

Hi, The unit will not be shipped until after the holidays now so I will ask them to do just that, thank you once more for another great and hlepful tip.