Defender Rear panels

Hi All.

One of the jobs I've got coming up is looking at replacement of the two little rear panels either side of the rear door on the 90. Any horror stories on the suppliers? My local place will most likely sell the Britpart ones, which if the front wing outer panels are anything to go by, they won't be quite right (the flange where it joins to the rest of the wing isn't folded over far enough). My biggest worry is that they've already been replaced at some point, so I'm not working with a clean, unmolested, state.... more like its all a bit of a state!! 

So who's used what and did you have any issues with the part fitment?

Cheers!

I have changed lots of these, they come with part of the door pillar spot welder to it, which has incorrect dimensions. I drill out the spotwelds on the pillar side and prize the panel off from the pillar leaving just the bare panel, which can then be bonded on, and countersunk rivets used on the side wing to panel joint where it is hidden by the corner. I haven’t got a picture of separating the new panel but I have a few of the repair process - this tub was reversed into a wall and crumped the rear corner and crossmember - fitted new crossmember, new rear panel and managed to pull the side wing straight - only the rear panel had new paint.

capping.42BE56BD-1E3F-4938-8AAB-4C918F226C3D.thumb.jpeg.deb848fb89090916a043ca48bd154bd2.jpeg

C34B33EB-CB9D-4D65-B5CE-AF49271296BD.thumb.jpeg.7e69a822b14c75c236eb63ed9508d3af.jpeg

CBC328B1-BDD4-4534-BD0B-CD3853474C58.thumb.jpeg.2012c0b383fa7b0d73e47b4e26bf0ac9.jpeg

• Like 3

I fitted a couple of these and got some aftermarket panel that seemed to work ok, as long at you make the opening parallel you make it fit.

I do have a rear tub I'm in the long process of refurbishing, and I picked up a couple of genuine ex army surplus panels from ebay.  

Genuine Left Rear body tub quarter panel Black Defender 1983-2016 Tdi Td5 Tdci | eBay

There is a couple of pics of when I did my 90's in my build thread.

Diamond in the rough... - Page 2 - Members Vehicles Forum - LR4x4 - The Land Rover Forum

I remember I did the other side just before it went for painting last time it was off, I just whipped it off and popped a replacement in there, can't remember it taking all that long in the end.

• Like 1