Portable jump start packs

Turbocharger

No no no...

He looked at me, down at the jump leads and said "You're not coming in, son. You look like you're going to start something"

Credit where it's due, he was quick...

That really was quick! I will be impressed if you really do start something. :)

Chris

Well, £25 at Aldi wasn't quite wasted. The car was completely flat, no headlights at all. It wouldn't jump the car, but it did open the stop solenoid so I (well, my long suffering girlfriend actually) could push start it.

I went to buy a new battery - and got stung £90 for a big car-size one, rather than the small milkfloat-size one I wanted. The chap was holding a drop tester so we blipped the batteries as they were:

Old battery was 13.5v, but fell away under load.

The new battery was 14.5v and held up better when he drop-tested it, but when I started the engine it was showing 16v, down to 14.5 when he drop tested it.

The completely flat battery (after 2 weeks) plus 16v terminal voltage worries me - has the alternator regulator gone instead, and is it replaceable?

Well, £25 at Aldi wasn't quite wasted. The car was completely flat, no headlights at all. It wouldn't jump the car, but it did open the stop solenoid so I (well, my long suffering girlfriend actually) could push start it.

(Smug Git Mode On)

Told you so! :rolleyes:

(Smug Git Mode Off)

Glad you got it started.

The completely flat battery (after 2 weeks) plus 16v terminal voltage worries me - has the alternator regulator gone instead, and is it replaceable?

16v is a bit high. 14.6 is as high as I would expect. I would check it with a decent quality meter first (and make sure your meter is set to DC. If set to AC, it will probably read 1.41 times too high on a DC source).

The Alternator regulator is replaceable. 'Wood Auto Supply' is where to look for spares.

Si

The drop tester was Snap-On, but since it was being held by a tyre fitter it'd probably been dropped itself a few times! My meter's up north and I'm not but I'll try to swing by a DIY shop and get a cheapo £5 digi-meter to get voltages myself... or just drive with the headlights on all the time!

I wasn't expecting miracles from the jump pack, but my brother uses his to great effect when it won't quite turn. It helped me out anyway, the stop solly wouldn't open with the car battery alone.