Truck Cab Roof Refurb

I've just taken ownership of a second hand truck cab purchased from another forum member. I knew it needed some work and originally I had thought of just patching it up and getting it on the car but now I'm thinking I'll maybe put a bit more effort in and see if I can get it looking good. A couple of Q's for you learned people:

1 - what's the best way to straighten out the dents?

2 - I can't TIG weld and don't have A TIG welder, what's the best way to fill the holes?

3 - the car is Blenheim silver with colour coded wheel arches. Should I go for a gloss black roof or was that not a factory option?

20210430_165026.jpg

20210430_165013.jpg

20210430_165031.jpg

Do you have a MIG welder? I welded up sunroof using aluminium MIG wire and Argon shielding gas. It worked well, but I had to go real slow with lots of breaks as the heat really tries to warp the aluminium roof. I found it very hard to get neat welds so also spent a lot of time grinding then flat. I was pleased with the end result though. I did initially try the aluminum brazing rods but didn't find them any good on the roof. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paime said:

I've just taken ownership of a second hand truck cab purchased from another forum member. I knew it needed some work and originally I had thought of just patching it up and getting it on the car but now I'm thinking I'll maybe put a bit more effort in and see if I can get it looking good. A couple of Q's for you learned people:

1 - what's the best way to straighten out the dents?

2 - I can't TIG weld and don't have A TIG welder, what's the best way to fill the holes?

3 - the car is Blenheim silver with colour coded wheel arches. Should I go for a gloss black roof or was that not a factory option?

20210430_165026.jpg

20210430_165013.jpg

20210430_165031.jpg

Best way to straighten out the dents would be to use a plannishing hammer and dolly you can buy a set of 3 hammers with dollies for around £30 machine mart will have them ( panel beating set ), then it's just steady away and patience. You could go the mig route with welding but if your planning on putting a headliner in I would block the ho!e up from underneath with a patch of aluminium held in place with sikaflex then skim the hole in the outside with body filler and sanding until it's good enough to paint regards Stephen

Edited by Stellaghost
Name remembered

Go very easy with hammers and dollies on aluminium, it doesn't behave quite like steel does as it work hardens. I think you have to keep heating it up. I'm sure someone will be along with a technique to straighten out aluminium. 

Thanks folks. I do have a MIG so might give that a go and worst case scenario i can bond in an aluminium panel as I'll be putting some form of headlining in eventually anyway. With a bit of luck it'll be ready for winter when the smaller cab size will help with heating in the old girl.

Never used hammers and dollies before so will do some YouTube research on how they work.