Series 2 catflap/tailgate

Mileshenry

Hello all, I just bought my first land rover and am trying to source the parts that are missing.

Does anyone have a tailgate and catflap, middle seat bottom and back, or a hood mount for a spare tire?

I am also curious how the spare tire mounts inside the bed of the truck. Is there an adapter that bolts it to the side on the right?

I also have this center console that I want to remove, so if anyone is interested I'd be happy to sell or trade it. 

Any information would be great!

Henry

IMG_20210611_113712.jpg

IMG_20210611_154708.jpg

1961-land-rover-series-ii-109 (14).jpeg

1961-land-rover-series-ii-109 (9).jpeg

Hi Henry ! Welcome.

Nice Land Rover and a nice little MG.

Any Lane Rover Series 2,3 or Defender tailgate will fit - though I believe there are subtle differences on a S2 ? Perhaps the number of bolts in the hinge being one?  I’m not a S2 expert though ! 

On the flap - a UK company has just started remanufacturing them. Prior to that it was a case of finding an original one:

https://www.sp-4x4.com/product_p/320652.htm

Seats are sold by many suppliers and are surprisingly inexpensive.

Welcome to the forum.

Im not sure about those “razor edge bonnets, but deluxe bonnets were dished for spare wheels.  A spare on that bonnet would sit fairly high, so the internal mount might be better if you are fitting tailgates rather than a rear door.  88s mounted them against the tub bulkhead, but 109s had a galvanised steel well that sat into the wheel box section between the bulkhead and the rear wheel, with a simple clamp that bolted to the tub capping along the side of the tub.  You could easily fit that system on both sides, if you wish - the holes are already cut in the wheel boxes, and would only need the cover plates removing for the well to be fitted and riveted in place.  It’s not the most convenient place for a spare if you often have to use it, but it doesn’t affect forward visibility like a bonnet mounted spare and doesn’t make lifting the bonnet a little heavy.  Just an option…

If I recall correctly fly, the securing stud was just a treaded bar that swings vertically in a bracket that is bolted to the tub capping, all galvanised.  Very simple, and folds down mostly out of the way when not in use.

• 1 month later...

I really like the tire in the bed, but I'm planning on making a platform for a mattress in the back so I'm thinking I'd rather have it on the front for cleanliness. My buddy has his on the hood with a non deluxe hood and it's not too bad. I already have a massive Blindspot, what's the harm in loosing a bit more 😅