is this Aluminium corrosion?

Question to you ... today after a long time I looked back into the cargo area of my Defender and noticed strange changes on the sheet metal surface of the wheel arches.

So strange shapes grow out of the sheet metal? Is this aluminum corrosion? If so, how can I get rid of it quickly?

Thanks for your tips.

4254D0F9-E650-43D1-B224-4B186D9347EB.jpeg

7B40C07C-9E3A-4C52-A1DF-FA6887D63368.jpeg

2EDE95EE-983D-4137-93C6-0F4BE601FBCA.jpeg

50A42913-D807-4EF3-A245-FAD8BAA48A41.jpeg

AF3D1E16-11DE-48FE-969C-85DDD9F4647A.jpeg

2 hours ago, miketomcat said:

I think they are some kind of byproduct of aluminium corrosion.

It's the same as we see in the marine environment.

Mike

Ah ok.

it just seems some people think you need salt water or electrical current for corrosion or electrolysis to occur between dissimilar metals

15 hours ago, monkie said:

You need close contact and an electrolyte for galvonic corrosion. You have both of those on a Land Rover. The electrolyte is simply salt from the road mixed with rain water. 

I have no doubt that road salt ( I’m guessing for winter?) will increase the speed and severity of corrosion, but it happens without added salt. I’ve found it between the gal cappings and brimabright panels on the IIA tub I picked up from out west and here is a heavy mild steel base plate that has suffered it badly due to SS acorn nuts. This steel structure has no other rust or corrosion and sees only rain and tap water.

305A43BB-616E-43DA-ADB9-0E32A0F98BDA.jpeg