TD5 Engine Preventative Maintenance

Hi folks, my 90 TD5 has been with me since she had 70k on the clock and has now done 138k of fairly reliable motoring. I had a wee puff of blue smoke on startup the other day, nothing too concerning but made me wonder if there's something I should be doing to prevent any major breakdowns in the near future. So far I've gone with the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' method of maintenance but I'm not sure if that's viable any more. Where's the best place to start to make sure I don't end up on the side of the dual carriageway?

28 minutes ago, monkie said:

Are you meaning preventative maintenance beyond routine oil and filter changes? 

Pretty much yeah. For example is it worth changing injectors? I've heard the injector harness on TD5s can be a source of trouble as well etc so I'm wondering if there's anything I should do to guard against being stranded somewhere.

It will be interesting to see what TD5 owners think. My thoughts as a non TD5 owner are to keep up the regular servicing, get a fault code reader incase you don't have one to help you diagnose anything and then just enjoy driving it. 

Pull the red plug on the ECU, if its swimming in oil, change the loom and flush out that plug and the ecu a couple of times over the next few weeks.

Check for play in the turbo.

Otherwise theres not much in the way of preventative maintenance, injector washers are a common source of problems but I think I'd just change them at the first sign of trouble rather than preemptively  (hard starting or cutting out).