300Tdi overheating and oil leaks

Hello great wise ones!

I have a 300Tdi that is not loosing coolant or oil, however there is a lot of oil spray around the pas pump hoses and base of the gear box.  I just checked the gear box 3 days ago and made sure there was a tight seal and not loose bolts but still seeing some leaks.

Also no coolant leaks as I can tell.  Could the pas pump lines be blocked and cause overheating?  In my novice knowledge I would think not, but have come to understand that these old beasts do have their quirks! Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks

Ryan

IMG_2199.jpg

IMG_2195.jpg

Edited by IslandDefender90
photos

PAS you need to carefully check hoses they could be degrading and oil weeping through, also check hydraulic connections and pump seals

Transfer box oil could be coming from seal at back of rear prop shaft behind handbrake drum, also check box inspection points, in both cases a little oil goes a very long way so you may not be seeing your levels drop at the moment

You say your not losing oil but have you checked all level points ie: engine, transfer box, main gearbox and power steering reservoir

In any case I would steam clean oily areas so you can actually stand a chance of identifying where leak is coming from, hope this helps regards Stephen

Thank you @Stellaghost! That is exactly what I was thinking so great for the confirmation.  I will do a double check on the oil points.  The transfer box was very low but i assumed it was from some loose bolts on the housing.  And I will do my best to clean the hoses to get a better look at them.  On a island so tools are a bit limited. 

Last thing, would something like this be a cause to overheating?  Say is the hoses to the pas are faulty and not providing a tight seal for the system?

Is it a factory 300 Defender or a conversion engine ? With conversions the temp. sender and gauge often end up mis-matched.

A cheap digital laser thermometer helps a lot with how hot is it questions .

300 Tdi's need coolant top ups cold and the two bungs removed - rad and stat housing . Fill header tank to level and fit cap tight . 

Fill rad and fit cap . fill stat housing and fit cap . 

Make sure the header tank has no leaks around seam or the cap itself . 

Steve

@steve b thanks for the insight. It’s a 1987 island Landy so pretty sure it’s a conversion. (Also pretty sure the it’s a Frankenstein of two or three Defenders) 

The digital thermometer is a great idea and didn’t know about the possible mis match. Will see if I can locate one here and do a physical check on temp. 

After cleaning off some of the hoses today and driving for a bit I discovered a leak in a radiator hose from the thermostat to the radiator. It’s a pretty sizable leak so really hoping this is the issue. Will fit a new hose on and hope for the best! 

Edited by IslandDefender90